Wedding Day

Hailey's POV:

[Two weeks later]

I stared at myself in the full-length mirror. The girl staring back at me didn't look like the plain girl I had known all my life or like the girl I was just two weeks ago. She was different from my boring, plain self. She looked beautiful with her brown hair tied in a chignon. A few tendrils framing her heart-shaped face, and her lips were painted in a beautiful shade of pink, making them look naturally fuller. The skin of her face was healthy and glowing, making her look fresh and beautiful. Her cheeks were rosy, giving the appearance of natural blush.

She was dressed in a pure white chiffon and lace dress. The bodice was made up of lace, wrapping around her chest like a second skin, while the skirt was flowing down to her feet in a silky mess.

I looked at the girl in the mirror, and my eyes caught the shiny pendant dangling from the white gold chain clasped around her neck. Unintentionally, my hand moved up to my neck, and I gripped the pendant while still staring at the girl in the mirror who was no one else but me.

I was the one dressed in an elegant wedding gown. I was about to get married and start a new life with a stranger in just a few hours. The mere thought scared me, causing my grip to tighten on the pendant as if seeking some kind of support. The presence of something that was so special to me instantly relaxed the turmoil inside me.

This piece of jewelry was valuable to me because it belonged to my biological mother who gave birth to me sixteen years ago and wearing it today made me feel that she was here with me, hiding somewhere but watching me take the biggest step of my life.

My bedroom door opened, making me turn around to see my dad.

"Dad, how do I look?" I asked him.

He smiled at me lovingly, and said, "You look beautiful like your mother."

"You really loved her." I saw the emotions in his brown eyes.

"I still love her, and I love you. Don't ever think that you are an unwanted child because I am glad that I have you as my daughter," he said and placed a kiss on my temple.

My dad grimaced as a tear rolled down from my eye, leaving a wet trail on my face.

"Please, honey. Don't cry. It will make your eyes red and puffy. It wouldn't look good when we take your wedding pictures," dad said, picking up the tissue from the vanity table and drying my face.

I gave him a watery smile.

He smiled, and said, "Let's go. We need to leave for the chapel."

I nodded my head and held out my arm to him. He led me down to where others were waiting for me. After we were all settled in the car, the driver took us to our destination. When the car stopped, my dad and Emily helped me in getting out of the car without ruining my dress.

Emily arrived a week ago when she heard that she didn't need to marry anyone and no one was forcing her anymore. She decided to come back and see for herself if it was true.

When I stepped out of the car, my body started quivering, and to hide it, I clasped my dad's arm. He gave my hand a reassuring squeeze, and we made our way inside the church. With every step I took to enter the chapel, my heartbeat accelerated to the point where I felt my chest would burst open at any moment.

Despite all the nervousness, I continued walking down the aisle towards the nave of the chapel where the priest and a man in black tuxedo were standing. I couldn't see the man's face because he had his back to me.