My Dream Family

Chapter Five

Hailey's POV:

When we entered the hospital room, the first thing that came to my view was a fragile old man lying on the bed with different tubes and wires attached to his body. He had an oxygen mask on his face, helping him to breathe. When we moved closer to his bed, we realized that he was sleeping. His breathing was slow and coming out as a gasp.

My eyes started to sting with tears while looking at him. The state he seemed to be in, reminded me of my grandma. I was ten years old when my Grandma died, leaving me all alone in this huge world. She was my only best friend, my savior, and my mentor. She took care of me like my real mother would have if she were alive today. My grandma was always there for me, not my stepmom. My stepmom stopped playing the role of a mom when I turned eight, and grandma had to take her responsibility.

I was devastated after my grandma's death, and that led me towards depression. I was so close to her, and her death broke me apart. The school was already hell, and after her death, I started sinking into depression because I had no one to console me. Later, I started having nightmares. They were horrific, and they would appear almost every night. As usual, I hid it from everyone, and the condition got worse. My pleas and screams turned so loud at nights, and that was how mom and dad found out. I had no other option but to tell them the truth.

After that day, my dad took me to a psychologist. I was diagnosed with MDD (major depressive disorder). I had to attend a session every week to get better. The nightmares decreased gradually, but they never disappeared completely. I still had a fear of losing people that I loved, and whenever there was death, my mind took me back to the past. Sadly, I couldn't control my mind while I was asleep.

I was pulled out of my thoughts when Chase said, "Granddad, wake up. We are here to meet you."

Slowly, his granddad opened his eyes and looked at Chase with confusion. Chase smiled at him and tilted his head in my direction. His granddad followed Chase's gaze and looked at me.

I gave him a wide smile, and said, "Hi."

He removed his oxygen mask and put it on the bed. I walked closer to him.

"Who is this pretty girl?" he asked him.

"She is Hailey Edwards." Chase placed a hand on my back and pulling me towards him.

My heartbeat accelerated hearing my changed last name.

His granddad's eyebrows scrunched up in confusion, so Chase said, "She is my wife, granddad."

His granddad's eyes widened, and then a smile broke on his fragile face.

"Are you David's granddaughter?" he asked me.

"Yes. I am his granddaughter." I smiled at him.

"Great, come sit here," he said, telling Chase to move and making me sit on the chair beside his bed.

Chase narrowed his eyes at his granddad's antics then grumbled something in annoyance. I stifled a giggle at Chase's expression, catching his attention. He glared at me, and I fell silent.

"Hello, I'm Joseph. David and I used to study in the same high school," he said.

"I'm Hailey." I placed my hand on his fragile ones.

He smiled, and my heart swelled looking at the happiness in his eyes. If Chase agreed to marry me because of his granddad's happiness, then the smile on his granddad's face was worth everything.