Part 26- Abandoned

Law was on the phone with his lawyer trying to get Madeline out of custody.

"She is my sister, I have to help her. I am the only family she has."

"Law, the authorities are charging her with double murder, drug and human trafficking, kidnapping and fifteen other counts not including the charges for kidnapping an US citizen and attempted murder on an FBI agent. The Attorney General in Washington wants her bad. He feels that if they expedite her back to the states, they can deal with her because Brazil doesn't have the death penalty."

"How did this become so fucked up!" Law said to himself not realizing that it came out."

"Look Law, I've known the both of you since you were kids. But Law you are next. I just got word that they will be investigating you since she was under your command. Please tell me you had nothing to do with any of this?"

Law closed his eyes tight and pinched the bridge of his nose. "I haven't done anything. She did all this behind my back, Edward. Where did I go wrong?"

"She is a grown woman and she has to make her own mistakes. Look I am sending a friend of mine and his team to help you. But it doesn't look good."

"So what am I suppose to do, just give up on her?"

"It would be easier if she confessed and help you get that black female attorney back. If word leaks to the press it will turn into a side show and then public opinion about the FBI, CIA and State Department will be blackened and you know how that goes."

"Please Edward, I can't watch my sister go down for this."

"Well you better convince her to talk and tell you everything or she could be sentenced to life in prison in Brazil or if she is transported back to the US, she could face death. You need to start worrying about yourself, because they ate coming for you too."

Law hung up the phone. He was angry and pissed off at Madeline. She wasn't talking and it made the whole situation infuriating. He had been in Bahia for almost a week. He had taken a leave of absence to support her, but all he got was a cold shoulder. He loved his sister and he wanted to help but she was being stubborn. He walked out the office and into the basement where they were keeping her.

Although he has no part in the situation, people probably were figuring that he was guilty by association. They could give him a lie detector test and he would pass it. He only took Madeline under his command because she had good analytical skills and she knew three languages.

He walked down the narrow hallway to see her sitting in the last cell. The place was filthy and inhumane. Her naturally blond hair was now brown from the dirt and spiderwebs that hung from the cells. The prisons back in the US looked like million dollar mansions compared to this hell hole. The bright orange jumpsuit she wore was torn at the shoulder and a once very attractive Madeline looked like a junkie living on the street.

He stood in front of her cell. "Maddy please let me help you. The Government wants to have you serve the rest of your life in prison doing hard labor. Thirty for each man killed, ten for kidnapping plus five more for the cocaine found in the crate."

"It wasn't suppose to be like this Law." Madeline turned around and he could see the dullness in her baby blue eyes.

"What happened to you Maddy? How did you get yourself into this mess? For christsakes why did you do it?"
He was trying to keep his angrier in check.

Madeline began to cry. His heart went out to her. His baby sister the one that he raised was now a criminal. When their parents died, he was eighteen and she was ten. He made sure she was cared for. He made sure she went to school everyday, supplied all her needs and most of her wants. It broke his heart to see her like this.

"Why Maddy? How could you do this to us? Edward told me, they are going to investigate me. They think I have something to do with this mess. Maddy I love you, but this is too much!" He said running his hands through his hair.

"I'm so sorry Law, I don't know what happened."

"Try again Maddy. Stop playing me!"

"What do you want me to say, Law?"

"Fucking tell me the truth!"

"Okay, okay." She said with her palms in the air. When he yelled at her it always frighten her.

"A few years ago I worked with Zane on a case and we became friends. One day he said he had met some businessmen from Rio and that he was headed up there. I told him about Gabanna since she lived there. Zane was going to use me as a translator so I took a week off to go with him.

"You said, you were going to just spend time with Gabanna, not to conduct any business." He said taking a seat across from the cell.

"I thought it would be fun to just go out and hang with Gabby. It had been a while since I had seen her."

Law sighed and watched his sister intensely. When she lied her lip twitched but as far as he could tell she was telling the truth.

"I introduced Zane to Gabby and they hit it off. Then she introduced me to Emilio her cousin. It turned out that Emilio was the businessman that Zane was suppose to met."

Madeline stared at the floor.

"After a few days Emilio and I hit it off, I slept with him, but that was before I found out what he did. Emilio was drunk one night and told Zane and I about how he made a living and how much he was getting paid. I couldn't blow my cover so I played along."

"You could have reported it. You could have told me Maddy."

"I was scared something would have happened to you plus I had slept with him." She sighed.

"A year later Zane married Gabanna. Gabanna found out I was an agent. She was my best friend. She thought I would tell and blow the entire operation. I told her that I had fallen in love with Emilio which I did and she backed off. Emilio started buying me things and I fell even more in love with him. For years I tried to deny my feelings but it was impossible. Gabby eventually told him I was an agent. He went ballistic and then I told him that I loved him. Then I found out I was pregnant and I knew I could never turn him in."

"Maddy where is the baby?"

"Vegas made me have an abortion. He told me he would turn me into the Commander if I had the baby and that if I worked for them, then they would forget about it."

Madeline looked up to see Law pissed off. His fists were closed tight.

"I found out that Chase was starting to investigate Vegas. I wanted to protect Emilio and his father so I instigated a love interest with Chase. I figured that I could be his distraction. It worked for awhile. I destroyed evidence so they wouldn't be prosecuted."

"Madeline you didn't!"

"I had to Law. I had no other choice. I didn't know they were kidnapping children until a year ago. It made me sick to my stomach, but I was too far in. Zane did the paperwork as I used my connections to help deliver the cargo which included drugs, guns and trafficking people. I'm not proud of it."

"Damn you Madeline! When did you turn into this mad woman, this bitch! And now you have the nerve to cry."

Madeline tears rolled down her face. "If I could take it all back I would."

Law looked at her through the bars. If he was in there, he would probably have his hands around her neck. He had never been so angry with her in all his life.

"I stopped messing with Chase when Emilio proposed. I thought it was another ploy so I wouldn't turn them in, but I was madly in love with Emilio so I did it."

"You intentionally married a criminal, Maddy."

"But I really love him, you just don't understand, Law!"

"I understand that you are no better them Emilio and Vegas."

Madeline bit her bottom lip. She wiped the tears that were threatening to fall down her face.

"Zane grew a conscious. He didn't want to do this anymore. He brought Sasha in. I later found out that she was dating Chase and I got a little jealous. Chase is a good guy. He's rich, handsome and has a heart but I wondered what he saw in Sasha? Anyway, Emilio felt that maybe Zane was trying to pull out so, we followed Zane and then Sasha. Weeks ago, Zane had all his money transferred to a Swiss account. It was over twenty million dollars. He told everyone he was going on vacation, but he was never coming back. For an insurance policy, he left a jump drive, a video and papers regarding the business. We knew if that information leaked, we were all doomed."

Madeline shook her head and laughed.

"Zane made a comment to Gabby that he forwarded everything to Sasha, so Vegas scheduled a meeting through the firm since they were clients and the firm sent Sasha because Zane was on vacation. She has helped in the past with a couple of easy land deals. She knew the name but nothin else. We figured if she went to Patagonia maybe we could find out if she knew anything." She sighed.

"Zane started running his mouth. We found information that on the trafficking part, Zane had gone to Alejandro Santos to tell him about
some legal stuff. So he had Alejandro give majority of the export income to Emilio, so if he was busted, the authorities would think that he was a drug player and he was trafficking before the goods were delivered. All the risks of getting the cargo before it reached it's customers fell on Emilio. Santos agreed and signed the papers to transfer the business to Emilio and Vegas, but what we did not see was that Zane was playing both sides. He made Emilio sign papers giving Santos the money made after the cargo was delivered."

"This is all so overwhelming."

"You see brother, money is made before, during and after the transaction. The money is good. We would have made over fifty thousand just from those five girls."

"You are suck Madeline."

"Oh yeah, you're mad, now I'm
Madeline. You only call me Madeline when you're upset." Law looked at his sister and shook his head.

"What happened at the dock?"

"Emilio and I had put Sasha on the ship. We were to take her back to Rio. Since someone killed Zane we needed to see what she knew. We weren't sure if she knew something or not. Vegas got sick and he is in the hospital. Goody for him." She laughed.

"When we got there she was suppose to be in the crate, but when it was opened two dead workers were in there. I don't know why or how they were killed and the cocaine they found, I have no idea how it got in there."

"Why did you run that night?"

"Duh, I didn't want to be caught. I figured I had a better chance in running?

"You're so stupid. You are here in this cell and where is your husband? Huh?"

"I know he is coming back for me."

Law laughed. If she thought Emilio was coming back for her, she was crazier than he thought.

"Baby girl he used you for the fall guy. He is never coming back for you! I am the only one here. Nobody wants you anymore. Only thing that may save you is telling me where Sasha Worthington is?"

"I don't know Law. Believe me if I knew I would tell you. She was suppose to be at the pier and Emilio and I were taking her back with us. How she got off that ship in the middle of the night is beyond me."

"Who is Alejandro Santos?"

Madeline stared into her brothers brown eyes. If he went after Santos he would be killed. She couldn't let him die.

"I don't know much about him. Emilio worked for him. That's all I know."

"Damn it Madeline, either you talk to me or I'm leaving you here. You will face these charges by yourself. I will leave you to rot in this hell hole. Your choice Madeline!"

"I'm sorry Law," she said turning her back to him. Law took a deep breath.

This would be the first time he ever turned his back on his sister. The love that he once had for her was slowly leaving his heart as disgust started to take its place. He grabbed onto the bars and leaned his head against them. He said a silent prayer as his legs turned into heavy lead. She had made her bed and it was time for her to lie in it.

"Take care, Madeline," he said as he turned around and headed out the door.

She turned around an saw her brother was the very last time. She whispered, "I love you," as the darkness of the room engulfed her.

How do you feel about Law and Madeline (Maddy) now? The book is coming to an end and I am getting sad. Pleas don'r forget to comment , vote an fan. Thanks for reading.