Chapter 2

❝ We're petrified of saying too much or saying it wrong

❝ We're petrified of saying too much or saying it wrong. When the truth is, the only wrong thing you can say is nothing at all. ❝

An almost unbearable pain and discomfort overwhelmed her body, as she squeezed her eyes together, from the sharp light hitting her eyes, as she finally came back to consciousness.

Her head and her ankle felt so sore and heavy.

Cassidy slowly opened her eyes, still squinting from the sharp light.

The first thing that met her, was a pair of deep blue eyes. Eyes so deep that you could get lost in them. She had never seen anything like it.

She almost felt her breath get stuck, as she looked into those calm blue eyes.

The eyes belonged to a really handsome man, who stood by the end of the bed she was placed in.

"Hey, you're awake." He said softly, but a bit surprised, as her heart was jumping in her chest.

It felt like she had been staring for hours, before he finally spoke. But she guessed it was actually just for a brief moment. She couldn't gather herself enough to answer him. She was still feeling dizzy and disoriented.

He slowly walked to the side of the bed, and stood right next to her, before he spoke again.

"I'm Doctor Shepherd. I'm a neurosurgeon" He said, flashing a breathtaking smile, before checking her reflexes with his small flashlight.

"I'm Cassidy." She stuttered nervously.

She had never seen such a beautiful man before.

Slowly she got herself together and managed to speak properly.

"What happened?" She asked, looking confused around the room. She was surrounded by monitors and hooked up on a whole bunch of wires.

She tried to sit up, but was stopped by a stinging pain in her side, making her whimper in pain, as she fell back in the bed.

"Careful. I'll help you." The doctor said, before he carefully helped her to sit up in the bed, careful not to get tangled up in the wires.

Cassidy could swear that her heart skipped a beat, as their eyes met again and their face, were only inches apart.

"Thank you." She said almost whispering, after they both cleared their throat akwardly.

"You came in with a knife wound in your left side. Your liver was damaged and you lost a lot of blood. Your right ankle is fractured, probably from the fall. They operated you right away and got the bleeding under control." He started to explain.

Cassidy swallowed nervously before she slowly nodded in understanding. It was a lot to take in.

"They're going to operate your ankle again when you're more stable." He finished.

Cassidy just nodded again, trying to understand and process everything that had happened. The last thing she remembered was a pain in her left side and the feeling of losing her balance and falling.

"I'm going to make a CT scan of your head, to make sure, there's no bleeding, from the fall. The plastic surgeon will stitch that cut on the side of your head." He finished, smiling warmly.

Luckily he was calm and made her feel comfortable, or else she would probably have freaked out.

Someone attacked her and she could have been dead.

She just sat there in shock for a moment.

"You didn't have any identification with you. What's your last name?" He asked with a sweet smile, ready to scribble it down.

"He probably stole it." Cassidy whispered to herself.

"It's Morrison." She answered, looking up at him.

"Okay. I'll get the nurse to help you cancel your credit card and cellphone and write your information down, so we can get your medical record." He said, smiling reassuringly.

His smile almost made her melt, and made her forget about everything that happened, at least for a moment.

"Should we call someone?" He asked, writing in his papers. Cassidy wondered if a nurse shouldn't be doing that stuff. Maybe he just didn't have much to do right now.

Cassidy shook her head in response.

"No, thank you." She answered with a small smile.

"My family lives 15 hours away and I don't want to worry them." She explained smiling weakly.

"Okay." He answered cheerfully.

"Someone will take you to the CT scan and then I'll see you later." He said smiling, before he walked out of the room, leaving Cassidy with burning red cheeks, while she watched him walk away. She shouldn't be staring but she couldn't help it.

He suddenly turned around and looked at her with a wide smile, making her blush even more as she quickly turned her eyes away.