Chapter 8

At the end of the day, faith is a funny thing. It turns up when you don’t really expect it. It’s like one day you realize that the fairy tale may be slightly different than you dreamed. The castle, well, it may not be a castle. And it’s not so important happy ever after, just that its happy right now. See once in a while, once in a blue moon, people will surprise you , and once in a while people may even take your breath away.

Cassidy finally managed to get a good calm night of sleep.

She had just had breakfast when Mark walked in with a 3 or 4 year old girl on his arm.

"Hey." Cassidy greeted a bit surprised.

"Good morning Cassidy." Mark greeted with his usual white smile, gently rocking the girl on his arm.

"Cassidy, meet my daughter, Sofia." Mark said smiling proudly, as he walked up next to her bed.

"Hi Sofia." Cassidy said happily, gently touching the little girls hand.

"Sofia say Hi to Cassidy." Mark said happily in a childlike voice, as he sat down on a chair next to the bed.

"Cassidy!" She burst out, making both Mark and Cassidy laugh out loud.

They talked for a while and eventually Sofia climbed into the bed, and sat next to Cassidy. Mark told her that Sofia loved horses, so they talked about that for a while.

Suddenly Derek walked in, wearing his dark blue scrubs. He looked tired. He had probably been in surgery all night.

"Hey." He greeted surprised, as he saw Mark and Sofia in the room.

"Hey." Cassidy responded nervously.

Mark immediatly noticed the awkward tension between Derek and Cassidy and looked suspiciously between them without saying anything.

"I'll just come back later." Derek said before he hurried out of the door.

"What was that about?" Mark asked, turning his eyes back to Cassidy with a suspicious stare.

"Nothing." She lied, as she carefully helped Sofia get down from the bed. A perfect distraction. She thought, at least.

"I've known Derek all my life and you're a terrible liar." Mark pointed out, with a huge smile.

"Nothing happened. He's married." Cassidy lied again, with burning red cheeks, not daring to look at him.

"He kissed you, didn't he?" Mark said with a thriumphant smile.

"Mark!" Cassidy hissed, looking around to see if there was anyone in the hall, who heard anything.

"So you did kiss?" He asked smirking.

Cassidy shot him a look, before she started to chuckle.

"You can't say anything." She quickly added.

"Come on! It's so obvious that you like each other." He said with a huge smile, making her chuckle embarrassed.

"What's the deal with his wife anyway?" Cassidy asked curiously, as they stopped laughing.

"She messed with his Alzheimers trail and ruined it." Mark explained.

"Oh." She said shocked.

"She broke his trust." She said quietly.

"Yeah." Mark said.

"Is he going to forgive her?" She asked insecurely.

"I don't know." He answered, in a sad tone.

Mark took a look at the time.

"I'm late for work, and I need to get Sofia to the daycare." Mark said apologizingly.

"Okay. Thanks for the visit." Cassidy said smiling happily.

Cassidy had been reading for about an hour, after Mark and Sofia left, as someone suddenly burst through the door.

She looked up from my book, and met those calm deep blue eyes.

Before she could even greet him, her lips was sealed by a kiss.

The kiss was more rough, harder and needier than the last kiss. Cassidy was surprised, but I didn't mind.

"Hey." He said softly, as he pulled away.

"Hey." She responded just as soft, searching for his eyes. He looked so exhausted.

"Rough night?" She asked him softly.

"We lost the patient." He answered, with a sad expression.

"I'm sorry." Cassidy sighed, feeling his sorrow. He looked more relaxed so she guess, having her just listening to him, made him feel better.

"Is there anything I can do?" She asked insecurely.

She could have kicked herself immediatly after the words left her mouth. Of course she couldn't help with anything.

"Yeah." Derek answered smirking.

"Have dinner with me tonight." He added.

"How? I can't leave the hospital." She said wondering.

"I'll figure something out." He said smiling triumphantly.

"What if anyone sees us?" Cassidy said nervously.

"It's a risk I'm ready to take." He said smiling.

"See you tonight then." He said with the happiest smile, as he walked to the door, leaving Cassidy quite puzzled.