Chapter 19

❝ At the end of the day, there are some things you just can't help but talk about. Some things we just don't want to hear, and some things we say because we can't be silent any longer. Some things are more than what you say, they're what you do. Some things you say cause there's no other choice. Some things you keep to yourself. And not too often, but every now and then, some things simply speak for themselves.❞

Cassidy was so happy to be working again. And it seemed like she and Owen could be a really good team.

By lunch time Derek stopped by at the office, as she was finishing up on the schedule.

"Hey." He greeted happily as he peeped through the open door, making Owen and Cas look up from their paper work.

Owen gave him a small smile before his attention turned back to the papers.

Derek quietly walked up to her desk.

"How are you feeling?" He asked. He was always so concerned about her.

"I'm feeling really good." She answered with a big smile.

"Did you have lunch yet?" He asked, quickly looking over at Owen.

"Not yet." Cassidy answered, as she got up and walked to Owens desk to hand the finished schedule to him.

Owen looked a bit surprised before a thankful smile spread across his face.

"Thank you.
You should go and have lunch, and finish up for today." He said with his usual crooked smile.

Cassidy nodded and smiled before she followed Derek outside.

Derek sent a warm loving smile before he took her hand in his.

Her heart pounded as they walked into the cafeteria together, feeling like all eyes were on them.

"Hey guys!" Callie greeted happily from her seat, as soon as she noticed them.

"Come sit with us." She waved them over.

They quickly grabbed some food and sat down at her table.
Arizona and Mark had joined too.
Cassidy sat down next to Mark with Arizona and Callie across the table. At the table was also another doctor she hadn't seen before.

"It's good to see you Cas." Mark greeted with his usual big smile.

The doctor leaned over the table reaching out her hand for Cassidy, with a sweet smile.

"Hi. Teddy Altman." She presented herself before Cas shook her hand.

"Cassidy Morrison." Cas responded.

Cassidy sat back in her chair and quietly started to eat.

"We haven't seen you much around the apartment." Arizona commented with a grin, making Cassidy chuckle before she answered.

"No, I know." She answered with a grin.

"I heard you went to the zoo with the kids." Arizona continued.

"It was so much fun." Callie interrupted excitedly.

"You should have seen Zola and Cas together." Callie continued, with a dreamy sigh.

"How's everything with Zola?" Arizona asked Derek. Derek told Cassidy a bit about her medical history, so she guessed Arizona asked, because Zola was her patient.

"She's great." Derek answered smiling. You could just sense how much he loved that little girl.

"We could go to the daycare together and pick her up, and then you can bring her home? I still have some time before my next surgery." Derek suggested, as he turned to Cassidy.

"Yeah, sure." Cassidy smiled excitedly.

Cassidy spend the whole afternoon alone with Zola, playing and taking a nap. They both needed that.

Cassidy held Zola in her arms, as they were laying on the bed. Suddenly she woke up, by Derek walking in to the bedroom. He was home much earlier than expected.

"My last surgery got cancelled." He whispered as he climbed into bed.

"She's so calm around you." He said smiling. Cassidy couldn't help but smile at him, before her eyes fell back to Zola who was still sleeping in her arms.

"I should get up and cook something." Cassidy said quietly.

"You don't have to." Derek protested.

"You should spend some time with her. Meredith is taking her home tomorrow." She responded, feeling a knot build in her stomach, by the thought.

She wanted to be around Zola all the time, and it was so hard for Derek to be without her. And it reminded her, that he was adopting her together with Meredith and that it was quite a mess.