Chapter 28

❝ They say death is hardest on the living. It's tough to actually say goodbye. Sometimes it's impossible. You never really stop feeling the loss. It's what makes things so bittersweet.

Cassidy sat down in front of Dr. Hunt, with Callie next to her in the meeting room.

Tears was forming in her eyes. She was so worried and so many thoughts went through her mind. She knew it had to be something bad.

"What going on?" Cassidy asked with shaky voice after sharing a look with Callie, who looked just as worried.

"I just got a call from Boise. They never showed up." Owen said calmly.

Cassidy felt her heart drop by his words.

"They're doing everything they can to find them." Owen continued with a sad and worried look on his face.

"They crashed?" Callie asked in horror.

Owen nodded and looked down with a sad look.

Cassidy couldn't take it anymore and stormed out of the room.

Barely seeing through her tears she almost ran through the halls until she reached a supply room.

Pictures of some of the most beautiful moments with Mark and Derek flashed before her eyes.

She leaned against the door before she slowly slipped down to the floor, crying her heart out. She sobbed uncontrollable with the tears streaming down her cheeks.

Two of the most important people in her life was missing, nowhere to be found after a plane crash.

Cassidy was fumbling nervously with her hands as the chopper took off.
Her heart was thundering in her chest, feeling scared about flying after what had just happened.
She was leaving for Boise together with Webber, Bailey and Callie.
She shouldn't actually be with them, but Bailey pushed for her to come with them.

Cassidy sighed after taking a deep breath, placing her hand on her baby bump. They still had no news about the condition of the others. Just that they were at the hospital in Boise, after being stranded for over a week.

The thought about loosing any of them scared her so much. She and Derek had just found back together, ready to start their life together with Zo and their little baby girl on the way. Cas looked over at Zola who was luckily sleeping through all the noise.

Cas rushed through the halls together with Bailey, Webber and Callie with Zola on her arm, pushing through the nurses trying to stop them on their way.

They passed the exam room, where Meredith was. She didn't look good and was trying to get out of bed, clearly in shock.

Cas shared a quick look with Bailey before they almost stormed into the room.

The panic on Meredith's face almost immediately disappeared as her eyes fell on Zola.

Cas quickly passes Zola to Meredith, who greeted her mumbling.

"I need to see Derek and Mark." Cas said with stern voice, looking at Webber who nodded calmly at her.

Cas shared a look with Bailey, who nodded at her, telling her that she would stay with Meredith and Zola, before Cas walked out together with Webber.

Cas broke into a sob is she saw Derek laying there on the gurney, unconcious, looking sick and pale with his right hand wrapped up.

She slowly walked up to him and took his good hand in hers, stroking it gently.

"I'll go and check on the others." Webber said quietly from the door, earning himself a nodd.

Derek's eyes slowly fluttered open by the sound of the door closing.

"Hey." Cassidy said happily as he looked at her.

Derek responded weakly, with hoarse voice, while Cassidy dried her eyes, not wanting him to see the tears.

Derek just watched her, with a small but soft smile. She had been on his mind every second in the woods. He had been so worried if she would be okay, with the baby and everything if he didn't make it back.

"Meredith really needed to see Zola, so I left her there together with Bailey." She said quietly, breaking the silence.

Derek nodded with a weak but soft smile, before his eyes traveled down to her baby bump. Cassidy quickly noticed and moved both their hands to it.

"We're okay." Cassidy smiled, knowing what he would ask.

Suddenly a nurse walked in, interrupting their moment.

"We need to take him to surgery." She said almost apologizing.

"Okay. I'll be right here when you get back. I'll just check on Mark and the others in the meantime." Cassidy said a bit confused, as she turned to Derek.

"I love you." She whispered against his lips before kissing him.

"And I love you. So much." Derek almost whispered before they shared another kiss.