Chapter 14

Okay, here it is. Your choice, it's simple, her or me. And I'm sure she's really great. But Derek, I love you, in a really, really big 'pretend to like your taste in music, let you eat the last piece of cheesecake, hold a radio over my head outside your window,' unfortunate way that makes me hate you ...love you. So pick me. Choose me. Love me.

4 weeks passed and Cassidy had only seen Derek a couple of times, when he had the possibility to sneak into her room. Most times with help from Mark and Callie.

She missed him terribly and it wasn't easy to spend so much time apart, so early in a relationship. If you could even call it that.

They normally talked on the phone or texted through the day, but over these past days, his calls and texts became less and less frequent.

It made her a bit worried, but he was probably just busy and exhausted, so she tried not to put too much thought into it.

She was finally going home in a couple of days. Her ankle was healed and she only had a few training session left at the hospital. Callie had done everything in her power, to keep her at the hospital as long as possible and then she and her wife, Arizona had been so sweet that they offered Cassidy to stay with them, until she found her own place and a job.

Cassidy was reading a book, just to kill time, as Callie walked into her room.

"Hi." They both greeted each other happily.

"I have some great news for you." Callie said cheerfully.

Cassidy closed the book in her hands and looked questioningly at Callie, waiting for her to continue.

"I got a job for you." She said happily, making Cassidy stare at her in surprise.

"That's amazing." She managed to stammer, after a moment of silence.

"Where is it?" She asked a bit shocked and confused.

"It's here at the hospital." Callie quickly answered.

"The Cheif resident could use an extra hand with the paper work, and running errands." Callie explained further.

"Thanks Callie." Cassidy said happily, reaching her arms out for a hug, which she happily accepted.

"There's a galla party for all employers at the hospital on Friday. You can come too." Callie suggested.

Cassidy thought for a moment.
"But I don't have a dress." She said disappointed.

"Well, you're going home with us on thursday. We could go shopping for a dress first thing Friday?" Callie suggested.

"Yeah. Sounds fun." Cassidy answered smiling widely.

"That's a deal then." Callie said smiling happily.

Cassidy immediatly texted Derek after Callie left, to tell him about the good news.

She still hadn't heard from him and he didn't answer her last text.

Thursday finally came. It was afternoon and Callie would pick Cassidy up a couple of hours later, when she was done with work.

Cassidy had just started packing her stuff, as a very familiar voice greeted her from the door.

She hesitantly turned around and greeted him back.

There was almost unbearable silence in the room, as she and Derek just stared at each other.

"You shouldn't be here." She said, harsher than intended, before sje turned around and continued to pack her bags.

Derek walked over and closed the curtains, while Cassidy nervously fumbled with her bags. They hadn't really talked for over a week and she didn't know what was going on.

Derek slowly walked up to her and forced her to turn around and look at him, before he leaned in for a kiss.

His lips felt so soft against hers and she had missed that feeling so much.

Derek sighed, as he broke the kiss and rested his forehead against hers.

"I'm sorry. Things have just been crazy with work and everything going on with Meredith and Zola." He explained, almost whispering.

Cassidy just looked down and nodded in response.
She felt disappointed, that he didn't even contact her through that time. She would have understood and been there for him.

"I have to get back to work. Call me, when you're settled at Callie and Arizona's place." Derek said, before placing another kiss on her lips.

Cassidy smiled weakly and nodded in response, before Derek walked to the door.

"I'll make it up to you." He said with a soft smile, before he left.

Cassidy sighed in confusement and turned back to the clothes on her bed.

A few moments later, someone burst through the door, almost making her jump in surprise.

Cassidy turned around and found Meredith standing in her room, looking furious.

"Don't you know that Derek is risking his job, coming here to see you?!" She hissed, leaving Cassidy all puzzled.

"I didn't ask him to." Cassidy said quietly, trying to sound unaffected.

"Stay away from my husband!" Meredith almost yelled at her , with anger in her eyes, before she stormed off again.

Cassidy just stared at the door in shock for a moment. She felt her whole body trembling.
It was just all too much to take. She did not want to ruin their relationship, but she trusted Derek's words, that they were done.

She felt the tears well up as she finished packing she things, just as there was a knock on the door and Callie walked in.

"Hey. Are you ready to go?" She asked cheerfully.

Cassidy quickly blinked away the tears and turned to Callie smiling.

"Yeah. I'm ready to go." Cassidy answered with a fake smile

"Have you talked to Derek?" Callie asked carefully, as they drove from the hospital to their apartment.

"Yeah. He stopped by before you picked me up." Cassidy answered, almost with bitterness in her voice.

"Give him some time. He has a lot going on." Callie said reassuringly.

They finally reached the appartement building and got Cassidy's stuff inside.

She found her room really nice and it would definitely do, until she had found her own place.

She just finished unpacking her clothes and sat down with her phone debating herself, whether she should call Derek or not.

After a moment of thought, she dropped her phone on the bed and went to the kitchen to help Callie prepare dinner.