Chapter 6

At some point you have to make a decision. Boundaries don't keep other people out, they fence you in. Life is messy. That's how we're made. So you can waste your life drawing lines or you can live your life crossing them. But there are some lines that are way too dangerous to cross. Here's what I know: if you're willing to take a chance... the view from the other side is spectacular.

A huge smile was plastered across Cassidy's face after Derek left. She felt so comfortable around him, and it wasn't like her, at all.

Later in the afternoon another doctor walked in, who she hadn't seen before.

"Hi, I'm Dr. Owen Hunt." He presented himself with a breathtaking smile.

He was pretty handsome too.

"Is this a hospital only for hot doctors, or what?" She thought to herself.

"I'm just going to take a look at the wound, okay?" He said smiling. His tone was reassuringly calm.

Cassidy just nodded in understanding. "Is there something wrong?" She asked, a bit concerned, as she shifted in bed to give him better acces.

"Your infection number is a bit higher today, so I just wanted to take a look." He answered.

Cassidy nodded and lifted up her shirt, allowing him acces. He carefully removed the bandage. She couldn't help but look. It was gross.

"Will there be a scar?" She asked insecurely, looking away from the wound.

"Only a small one." He said smiling reassuringly.

Cassidy felt the sadness wash over her, by the thought of having a scar on the side of her body.

"Everything looks fine. I'll just give you something to bring the numbers down." He said smiling reassuringly again.

Cassidy looked at his badge. "Chief resident, huh?" She said smirking, with a lifted eyebrow.

"Do you really have time to check up on patients like this?" She asked, making him chuckle.

"Actually Shepherd asked me to." He chuckled. Cassidy looked a bit surprised at him. It was sweet how they all took so good care of her.

"But it's a nice change, to all the paper work. And I like to follow up on my patients." Dr. Hunt answered smiling.

"You were the one, who operated me?" Cassidy asked surprised.

- "Yes."

"Thank you." She said softly, smiling thankfully at him.

"You're welcome." He answered, smiling even more.

"Do you have any questions?" He asked.

"Eh. No, I don't think so." She hesitated.

"Okay. Just let me know, if anything comes to your mind." He said smiling before he left the room.

Cassidy tried to get some sleep, but she was still hunted by the nightmare from last night which made it hard to fall asleep.

"Hi." two voices said happily, as they entered her room.

"Hi." She responded happily and relieved, as she turned her eyes towards them.

Mark and Derek carried her suitcases into the room and placed them near the closet in the other side of the room.

"Thank you so much." Cassidy said, smiling thankfully as they turned to her.

Derek looked over at the tray, with her dinner, standing next to the bed untouched.

"You barely touched your food." He said a bit concerned.

"Why don't I go get some dinner for us? It's probably better than the stuff, they are serving for the patients." Mark suggested, nodding towards the tray. Derek nodded and Mark walked off before Cassidy could say anything.

Derek sat down next to the bed, while they waited for Mark to return with dinner.

"How are you feeling?" Derek asked so softly, that her heart almost melted again.

"Good. Tired, but good. I have a hard time, falling asleep." She answered honestly, giving him a weak smile.

He nodded and smiled understanding at her.

"I really appreciate, that you stayed last night." She said quietly, earning herself a weak but warm smile from Derek.

They talked until Mark returned with sandwiches.

They were both really nice and fun to be around, and Cassidy felt really grateful that they did so much for her. She found out that Mark and Derek went way back, and that they were best friends.

"Well, I'm sorry, but I have to leave. I'm picking up Sofia today." Mark said, before leaving his seat.

"Thank you." Cassidy said smiling warmly at him

"I'll see you tomorrow." Mark said smiling, before he left Derek and Cassidy alone.

"What about you? Do you have kids?" She asked turning her eyes to Derek.

His facial expression changed completely. His eyes was full of pain and sorrow, making her regret her question immediately.

He thought for a moment, before he answered.

"My wife and I got temporary custody off a little girl from Malawi." He finally answered, still with a sad expression on his face.

Her heart sank, when he said the word "wife".

"Oh, so you're married." She said, feeling really guilty because she asked him to stay the night before.

"It's complicated." He answered, smiling weakly.

She wasn't sure if she should dig deeper into it. But she was curious and wanted to know.

"Why?" She asked, almost immediatly regretting it.

"I'm sorry. It isn't any of my business." She quickly apologized.

"No, it's okay." He sighed.

"She... She did something.. And I'm not sure that I can forgive her..." He hesitantly explained.
His eyes were so full of pain. Cassidy just wanted to hug him, and tell him, that everything was going to be fine.

"She broke your trust." She said quietly, staring intensely at him.

"Yeah." He said, looking intensely back at her, when he realized that she understood his pain and confusement.

"Could you help me, move the pillow behind my back?" She asked, breaking the silence.

"Yeah, sure." Derek answered, before he got up and helped her with the pillow..

Her heart started pounding in her chest. He was so close, and his scent was so intoxicating.

"Is it fine like that?" Derek asked, sitting down on the bed.

"Yeah, it's perfect." She said quietly, as their eyes locked in an intense stare.

It was like his eyes studied her face. Like he was trying to read her.

"Do you have kids?" He asked after a while.

"No. I just haven't found the right one yet." She answered cheerfully.

"And you don't have anyone waiting for you back in Denmark?" He asked.

"No." She answered shaking her head, making a smile spread across his lips.

She noticed a slight blush on his cheeks, as he looked down.

"I have to go back to work. I'll stop by again tonight. Maybe I could take you on a tour around the hospital?" He suggested.

"I would like that a lot." She answered smiling. She would almost do anything to get out of that room, just for a while.