Chapter 18

❝ Maybe we're not supposed to be happy. Maybe gratitude has nothing to do with joy. Maybe being grateful means recognizing what you have for what it is. Appreciating small victories. Admiring the struggle it takes to simply be human. Maybe, we're thankful for the familiar things we know. And maybe we're thankful for the things we'll never know. At the end of the day, the fact that we have the courage to still be standing is reason enough to celebrate.❞

Derek watched with a warm smile as Cassidy fed Zola.

"Do you have the day off?" Cassidy asked, without taking her eyes off Zola.

"Yeah. I thought we could take Zola to the zoo?" Derek suggested.

"That sound fun." Cassidy answered giving Zola a huge smile.

"Maybe I could ask Mark if he want to bring Sophia too?" He asked.

"Yeah sure." She answered looking over at him, with a smile. S

Derek picked out his phone and texted Mark, before he served the pancakes and sat down across the table.

Soon his phone vibrated making him look at it.

"Mark's in. Callie will join us too." Derek said looking up from his phone.

Cassidy nodded with a smile, chewing on a piece of pancake. She couldn't wait to spend a day with them all outside the hospital.

"I can do that." Derek said as Cassidy fed Zola another spoonful.

"It's no problem. We are fine, aren't we Zola?" Cassidy smiled, earning herself a laugh from Zola.

"But I might need some clothes. I only have my dress from last night." She said before taking another bite of her pancake.

"You can borrow my car, back to the apartment." Derek quickly suggested.

"Okay." Cassidy smiled.

"Maybe you should pack a bag, so you could spend the rest of the weekend with me and Zola? If you want to." Derek suggested.

Cassidy felt so surprised by his suggestion that she stopped chewing for a moment.

"I would love that." She answered a bit confused after a moment.

After breakfast she changed back into her dress and got ready to leave.

"Will you be able to find your way back to the city?" Derek asked with Zola on his arm.

"Yeah, I'm pretty sure I will." She answered.

"Okay. See you in a bit then." Derek responded, before leaning over to place a soft kiss on her lips.

As he pulled back Cassidy leaned towards Zola on his arm.

"See you in a bit." She said quietly before placing a kiss on the top of her head.
She already got attached to her. She really grew on her.

Cas made her way back to the apartment. Mark and Callie was getting everything ready to leave to go to the zoo.

After greeting them both she hurried to her room and packed a bag with clothes and other necessities, before changing into a pair of jeans, a loose sweater and a thick scarf.

She stepped out of her room with her bag, earning herself a surprised look from Mark and Callie.

"Will you be staying with Derek for the rest of the weekend?" Callie asked, followed by a huge smirk as Cas nodded in response.

"I'll just meet you at Derek's?" Cassidy asked, wanting to leave quickly.
She couldn't really deal with their curiosity now. It was just to soon.

They all had such a lovely day at the zoo. Cassidy couldn't believe how nice it was, finally being out of the hospital. And she really enjoyed helping Derek with Zola.

They spend the rest of the weekend around the house, having a nice few calm and relaxing days.

By Monday Cassidy still hadn't returned to the apartment. She had her first day at work and was getting ready together with Derek and Zola.
She would have a slow start and only work for a few hours.

"I could take Zola home when I'm off." She suggested, while Derek was putting Zola's jacket on.

Derek looked a bit surprised at her.

"Sure. If you want to." He finally responded with a smile.

Cassidy smiled and nodded in response.

"But promise to take care of yourself. You just got out of the hospital and it's your first day at work. If it's too much I'll just pick her up." He said with an almost concerned smile, as he walked up to her to place a kiss on her lips, getting ready to leave.

She felt her heart pound as they stepped into the huge hall at the hospital. She was really excited to get to work, but also quite nervous.

"Do you remember the way to the Chiefs office?" Derek asked as he turned to her.

"Yes. I remember from our many tours around the hospital." She chuckled.

"Okay. I'll take Zola to the daycare then." Derek said leaning over for a kiss. It just seemed so natural with him, also in public.

Cassidy gave him another kiss before turning to Zola.

"Have a nice day Zola." Cassidy said in a cute voice, making her smile, before she placed a kiss on her head.

"I'll see you tonight." Derek said with the warmest smile as he walked off with Zola on his arm.

Cassidy looked up the stairs, as she met Merediths stare. She looked bitter and angry. Cas knew it had to be hard on her, to watch. And she really felt sorry for her, and it wasn't her intention to ruin her family. But it was Derek's choice to leave because she broke his trust and ruined a successful trial and hurt his carrier.

Meredith quickly turned on her feet and walked away, before Cassidy started to walk up the stairs.

Dr. Hunt sat with his face burried in paperwork as she knocked on the door to the office.

A sigh escaped his lips, as he looked up.

He sent her a forced smile as he greeted her. He looked tired and frustrated.

"I didn't think you would be here until Wednesday." He said with a confused look on his face.

"Well I wasn't supposed to, but I wanted to get to work and it looks like you could use the help." Cassidy said smiling.

She placed her things by her new desk, as a frustrated sigh escaped Owens lips.

"I'm trying to figure out the on-call schedule." He answered with a crooked smile.

"Let me do that." Cassidy said smiling, reaching out for the papers.

His face softened, before he gave her the papers.

After working in silence for a while, Owen spoke.

"So, you and Shepherd, huh?" He asked only briefly looking up from his papers.

"What about us?" Cassidy asked smirking, without taking her eyes off her work.

"You're a couple now?" He asked, trying not to sound too curious.

"I'm not sure what we are. It's pretty complicated with Meredith and the adoption of Zola." Cassidy answered trying to sound unaffected by his question.

Owen sighed as he spoke.

"Yeah, I know. But Shepherd is a good man. I hope it'll all work out for you." He finished with a warm smile.