Chapter 5

Sometimes your worst nightmare comes true, but you find it's really nothing to worry about. Occasionally you discover that what you most dread is really a blessing. And your life is better because you persevered, despite your fears. But sometimes your worst nightmare is truly scary. And it feels like it's never going to end. That's when support from friends and family is vital. You want to surround yourself with people who will wake you up from your nightmare and help you live your wildest dreams.

Cassidy woke up with a gasp, looking around the room in panic after a terrible nightmare.
The room was dark, but a little bit of light came in from the hall.

Her breathing slowed down, as she realized that she was still in the hospital bed and that she was safe.

She looked out of the window. It was already completely dark outside. She had no idea how long she had been sleeping after her surgery, but she had been awake a couple of times, but only for a brief moment.

She felt all the emotions wash over her, as she laid there in the dark. She felt so lonely and overwhelmed. She was so far away from home, and she was scared that the guy would show up again.

She curled up in the bed and the tears started to well up in her eyes and she started to sob uncontrolably. Her whole body was trembling, as the tears streamed down her cheeks.

She didn't even notice, that the door opened and someone walked in.

Suddenly she felt herself wrapped in a pair of warm and strong arms.
She almost jumped in shock and at first her whole was tense.
But she soon relaxed, by the sound of an already well-known voice.

"Shh. You're okay. You're okay." A deep and soft voice said, holding her close.

"Shh. Just let it go. It's okay." He continued, as she was still sobbing and shaking like crazy.

Shd let go of all the tears and emotions, and sobbed into the fabric of the shirt she rested her head against.

After a while her breathing calmed down and the tears stopped slowly. She suddenly realized that she was holding on to a stranger's chest. She slowly pulled away, feeling all embarrassed. She looked up at a pair of blue eyes, watching her carefully.

"Are you okay?" Derek asked softly, as he wiped away a tear from her cheek.

Cassidy nodded, looking up at his beautiful eyes.

"It was just a bad dream." She said, almost whispering.
Derek nodded in understanding, before he gently pulled her closer.

They just stayed like that for a while.
The hospital was quiet at this hour and the halls were empty.

She was about to drift off to sleep, just breathing Derek's scent, when he suddenly but slowly got up from the bed.

"Please, stay." She said pleadingly as he was about to open the door and leave.

"I thought you were sleeping." He said, almost apologizingly.

"I know, that it's probably against your rules, but I really don't want to be alone." She said weakly, her voice almost breaking.

He thought for a moment, before he walked back to her and got back into bed. They just laid there for a moment, just facing each other.

She felt so safe around him, and it wasn't akward at all even though they didn't know each other.

Cassidy gave him a small smile, before she closed her eyes and drifted off to sleep.

She woke up in the middle of the night, slowly opened her eyes and looked around the room. The room was almost completely dark, only a bit of light from the hall, reached the room and hit Derek's face right next to her.