Chapter 29

If you love someone, you tell them. Even if you're scared that it's not the right thing. Even if you're scared that it'll cause problems. Even if you're scared that it will burn your life to the ground, you say it, and you say it loud and you go from there. ❞

"Oh, Mark." Cas said almost in dispair as she walked into his room, watching his unconscious and lifeless body.

She smothered a sob as she slowly walked to his bed before taking his hand. She was told that he had been crashing over and over again.

A deep breath escaped her lips as she sat down on a chair next to his bed, holding his hand in hers, fighting the tears.

"The doctors said that Derek would be okay. Meredith and Cristina too. Physically at least." She told him quietly.

"I'm so sorry about Lexi. I know how much you loved her." Cassidy said with so much sorrow in her voice, finally letting the tears go.

"And I know that you want to be with her. I know. But you can't leave us yet.
Your little girl is waiting for you at home. Callie and Arizona need you. Derek needs his best friend and our little girl is going to need her uncle.
I need my best friend. You're my person. You can't leave me." Cassidy spoke through her tears.

Cassidy turned towards the door as it slowly opened, revealing Meredith standing in the door dragging along the IV.

"Hey." She greeted, looking really tired as she dragged herself to the nearest chair and sat down.

"How is he?" Meredith asked Cas.

"He's barely hanging on." Cas answered, barely able to get the words over her lips. Her saying it, suddenly made it much more real, that she was losing her best friend.

"And Derek?" She asked, without even looking at Cas.

"He's going to be okay." Cas answered looking at Mark.

"I'm sorry for your loss Meredith." Cas said, looking straight at her with a sympathetic look on her face.

"Thank you. And thank you for bringing Zola to me." Meredith said after a moment of silence, with a look Cas couldn't really read.

"Of course. You are her mother." Cas said smiling weakly at Meredith.

"You're making it really hard to hate you." Meredith said almost with bitterness in her voice followed by a chuckle.

Cassidy smiled at Meredith.

- "Hate doesn't have to be involved. I don't want to take Zola away from you. Not even Derek, it wasn't my intention. It just happened. But we could get along, for Zola."

"We should." Meredith said with a small and still weak smile.

"You should go home and get some rest." Derek said quietly behind Cas, as she stood watching Mark from the other side of the window.

"I feel like we're loosing him. I'm afraid to go home and then get the call that he's..." She said, not able to finish the sentence as she turned to Derek.

He looked at her with a sorrowful look on his face.

"He should be better by now. It's been a month Derek. He's not fighting." She sighed looking back at Mark, rubbing her own arm.

Derek slowly walked up to her and pulled her into his embrace with his good hand, before kissing her forehead.