Chapter 4

❝ When you're little, night time is scary because there are monsters hiding right under the bed

When you're little, night time is scary because there are monsters hiding right under the bed. When you get older, the monsters are different. Self doubt, loneliness, regret. And though you may be older and wiser, you still find yourself scared of the dark. Sleep. Its the easiest thing to do. You just close your eyes. But for so many of us, sleep seems out of grasp. We want it, but we don't know how to get it. But once we face our demons, face our fears and turn to each other for help, night time isn't so scary because we realize we aren't all alone in the dark.

Cassidy sighed to herself, as she was left alone again. She felt so lonely surrounded by the four empty white walls.

She spend an awful lot of time, just staring out of the window, watching the rain fall. The weather changed quite a lot there.

Dr. Torres had an emergency and her surgery was delayed.

Her stare was interrupted by a knock on the door, and the sound was soon followed by a nurse walking in.

"The plastic surgeon is on his way, so I'm just going to prepare you, okay?" She said sweetly.

Cassidy just nodded emotionlessly. She couldn't believe that this had  happened to her. It was supposed to be her new start. Her new happy life.
And it was all so overwhelming, meeting all those doctors and nurses, and knowing that she had to go back into surgery again.

Suddenly a really hot doctor walked in, stopping her trail of thoughts.

"Hello Cassidy. I'm Dr. Sloan." He said smirking as he walked up to her.

"Let's take a look on that cut." He said before he rolled closer to her, on a chair.

There was something about him. Almost magnetic. He seemed really confident. Maybe even a bit cocky. But he seemed to know his work, so she felt like she was in good hands.

"How are you feeling?" He asked, examining the wound on the side of her head

"Fine. I guess." She answered emotionlessly.

"You'll be fine." He said, not trying to make a big deal out of it. His tone was calm and reassuringly.

Cassidy scoffed in disbelief.

"Hey, let me put a smile on that pretty face." He said smirking, looking away from the cut and directly at her, with his pretty eyes and flirtatious smile.

Cassidy immediately felt the blood rush to her cheeks and her heart fluttered, before an embarrassed smile crept onto her face.

"That's better." Dr. Sloan said smirking, before he returned to the cut on the side of her head.

"Are you even allowed to flirt with the patients, Dr. Sloan?" Cassidy asked teasingly, making him chuckle.

"No." He laughed.

"And please, call me Mark." He added, flashing a flirtatious smile, making her chuckle again.

"Okay, Mark." She said laughing.

Suddenly Dr. Shepherd walked in, looking a bit surprised as he noticed Mark in the room and the happy smile on Cassidy's face. She guessed he was expecting that she was alone.

"Hi." He said a bit surprised. His voice was so soft, it almost made her heart skip a beat.

"Hey." She answered smiling, before looking akwardly between him and Mark.

"How are you feeling?" He asked smiling.

"I'm okay. I'm just waiting for my surgury." She answered, returning his smile.

Mark looked suspicious and confused between Dr. Shepherd and Cassidy, but then turned his attention back to the cut without saying anything.

Dr. Shepherd watched silently as Mark finished stitching the cut.

"Done." Mark said proudly as he finished up.

"Will I get a scar?" Cassidy asked, nervous about his answer.

"No. 'cause I'm that good at my job." Mark said smirking.
"Thank you, Mark." She laughed.

"You're welcome." He said smiling, before he got up from his chair.

"Derek, can I just talk to you for a sec?" Mark asked, looking at Dr. Shepherd.

"Yeah, sure." He answered, before he gave her a smile and followed Mark out of the room.

So his name was Derek. Even his name was pretty.

Cassidy could see them talking at the counter outside. She was wondering what they were talking about.

"Aren't you done with this case?" Mark asked looking confused and suspicious at Derek.

"Yeah. I just wanted to check on her." Derek answered, like it wasn't a big deal.

"Oh, really?" Mark said suspiciously, with a wide suggestingly smirk.

Derek sighed frustrated, before he explained himself.

"She's all alone here. Her family is 15 hours away. She's got no one. And after what happened to her, she needs someone." He said rubbing his temples.

"I think you're into her." Mark said almost mockingly, smirking widely.

"I can't blame you. She's hot." Mark quickly added, shooting a look towards Cassidy's room.

Suddenly someone came to pick Cassidy up, for her surgery.

Derek gave Mark a glare before he walked off, towards Cassidy's room.

Cassidy was watching them talking, trying to figure out what they were talking about but she couldn't read their looks.

Suddenly someone came to pick her up and prepare her for her ankle surgery. Only a moment later, Derek walked into the room.

He sent her a sweet and reassuringly smile, as soon as she noticed him.

"I'll come and see you after your surgery." He said softly.

Cassidy nodded in response and smiled thankfully at him.

She sighed to herself as she watched him walk off. She wasn't used to all this sweet attention. Guys would hit on her and throw a comment, but she never experienced this kind of care. He was sweet, caring, very gentle and calm and extremely handsome.
But he was totally out of her league, so she had to get him out of her head as soon as possible.