Chapter 12

There's an end to every storm. Once all the trees have been uprooted. Once all the houses have been ripped apart. The wind will hush, the clouds will part, the rain will stop, the sky will clear in an instant. But only then, in those quiet moments after the storm, do we learn who was strong enough to survive it.

Derek and Mark was still sitting on the floor, outside the OR, waiting anxiously for any news about Cassidy.

Mark just wished that he could say or do anything, to calm Derek down.
Mark felt like he was falling apart right next to him.

"I shouldn't have left her this morning. I knew she wasn't well." Derek said with shaky voice, blaming himself.

"Derek, you couldn't know. Don't blame yourself." Mark said softly, feeling his pain.

After what felt like an eternity, Owen finally walked out of the OR, making both Derek and Mark jump to their feet.

Derek stared intensely at Owen, impatiently waiting for any news.

Owen sighed. "We managed to stop the bleeding. She'll recover." He finally said, making relief wash over them both.

Only a moment later, she was driven out of the OR, and Derek was immediatly by her bedside and stroke her head. Tears started to well up in his eyes and his lips was trembling.

He kept a hold of her hand, all the way to the elevator.

He was relieved that she was okay, but also overwhelmed by all of his emotions.

Mark decided to give Derek some time alone with her and went on with his work.

Several hours later, Mark went to check on Cas together with Callie.

Derek was still by her side, as they walked into her room. She was still asleep.

"How is she?" Callie asked carefully.

"All the tests came out fine." Derek answered quietly. Mark could see that he had been crying.

"Derek, should we bring Zola home with us tonight?" Mark asked, desperatly trying to help with something.

"Yeah. Thank you." He answered, with a weak and exhausted smile.

"Okay. Call us if there's any news or if you need anything." Mark said quietly, before he and Callie left.

Derek was still sitting by her bed, holding her hand while gently stroking it.

He was tired and exhausted. He had cancelled all of his surgeries, just to be with her, when she woke up. He knew that he probably would be in trouble, because it was pretty obvious to Dr. Hunt that he was involved with Cas, but it didn't matter to him.

He looked at her beautiful face. The colour slowly returned to her face, while she was sleeping peacefully.

Derek gently stroke her cheek.

"I thought I would loose you." He whispered quietly, with trembling lips.

"It made me realize that I need you in my life.
That I want you in my life." He continued.

"I realized that, I love you." He whispered with a smile spreading across his face.

He rested his head on her bed and briefly closed his eyes, as he suddenly felt her stir.

He quickly looked up at her, as her eyes slowly fluttered open.

"Hey." He said quietly, with a soft smile.

"Hey." She responded weakly, with a wide smile, happy to see him.

"How are you feeling?" Derek asked her.

"I'm fine. Just really tired." She answered with a weak smile.

"You scared us there." Derek said softly, followed by a deep sigh.

Derek just kept staring at her, with a loving look, while he gently stroke her hair.

"Kiss me." Cassidy said quietly, with a small smirk.

"What?" Derek said a bit confused and surprised.

"Kiss me." She repeated a bit louder this time.

A happy smirk spread across both of their faces, as Derek leaned in for a gently, soft kiss.

"I'm happy that you're here." Cassidy whispered as their lips parted.

"I wouldn't want to be anywhere else." Derek responded quietly still smiling.

She gently grabbed a hold of his cheek, keeping their faces only inches apart.

"I love you, Derek." She whispered, staring him intensely in the eyes.