Chapter 10

I wish there were a rulebook for intimacy. Some kind of guide to tell you when you've crossed the line. It would be nice if you could see it coming, and I don't know how you fit it on a map. You take it where you can get it, and keep it as long as you can. And as for rules, maybe there are none. Maybe the rules of intimacy are something you have to define for yourself.

About an hour passed after Derek left and Cassidy couldn't fall asleep. It was already late in the night, and she was debating myself, whether or not to text Derek.

She decided to give it a try.

"Thanks for dinner and everything. I really appreciate all that you do.
- Cas." She texted and waited nervously for an answer.

She quickly got a response and her hands were shaking in excitement.
She was definitely falling way too deep for him.

"Shouldn't you be asleep? ;-)
Lunch tomorrow?
- D." He texted back.

-"Shouldn't you be asleep too? ;-)
Lunch sounds good." Cassidy responded, smirking to herself. If he wanted to spend that much time with her, he had to be serious about it.

"Then it's a deal.
I'll stop by in the morning. Get some sleep.
See you tomorrow Cassidy." Derek texted back.

"See you tomorrow Derek :-) Goodnight."  

She actually felt a bit confused by the whole thing. He was risking his job, by spending so much time with her.

She couldn't let him risk it all, for her.
He was a succesfull surgeon. This thing could ruin his whole career. She had to talk to him about it.

She sighed to herself, before she put away her new phone, which Derek got for her and closed her eyes to get some sleep.

A couple of weeks passed.

Derek kept stopping by, every chance he got.
But they never really talked about where this was going or what was actually going on.

He was still married, but didn't seem to have any intention to fix it. He was a person who valued honesty and trust very much in his life, and she ruined it.

Mark had told Cassidy, that there was a lot of tension between Derek and his wife, Meredith. They were only speaking, if it was about Zola.

Cassidy never really talked to Meredith, but she had walked by her room a couple of times. Cassidy immediatly knew who she was, because of the angry looks she sent her.

Cassidy woke up early, one morning, by someone gently stroking her hand and calling her name softly.

She slowly opened her eyes and saw Derek sitting next to her bed, with a happy smile across his face from watching her sleep.

"Good morning." Cassidy said sleepily, slowly sitting up in bed.

"Did you get a good nights sleep?" Derek asked, slowly leaning in.

"No. I missed you." Cassidy whispered smirking, before meeting his lips in a kiss.

"How are you feeling today?" He asked concerned.

"I've had better days. But I'll be fine." She said reassuringly, even though she was feeling a bit under the weather.

Derek felt her forehead and looked concerned at her.

"You're hot." He said concerned.

"Stop worrying. I'm fine." Cassidy said smiling reassuringly.

Suddenly the door opened and Mark walked in with a beautiful baby girl on his arms. Cassidy guessed that she was about 8-9 months old.

"Hey. We were getting impatient." Mark said smiling happily, gently rocking the girl on his arm.

Derek sent Cassidy a happy smile, before he got up and took the girl from Mark.

"Cas, I want you to meet Zola." Derek said smiling proudly.

Cassidy reached out her arms towards them.
"Hey little miss Zola." She said happily, as Derek placed Zola in her arms.

"How cute you are." Cassidy said with a happy voice.

Zola laughed happily, chewing on her toy, making them all chuckle from her reaction.

"She likes you." Derek said happily, as Cassidy smiled warmly at him

They all sat down and talked for a while, before Derek had to take Zola to daycare. Cassidy sensed, that he was really happy that she and Zola got along so well.

"Call me if you need anything." Derek said, giving her a serious look.

"I will. And stop worrying." Cassidy responded with a smile.

Mark stayed behind, after Derek and Zola left.

"Cas, are you sure you're feeling okay? You look really pale." Mark asked concerned.

"Don't you start too." She said giving him a look, followed by a chuckle.

"Okay okay. I'll stop. We're just worried about you." Mark said smiling.

"I know." Cassidy said smiling warmly.

"Shouldn't you get to work?" Cassidy asked him teasingly.

"Yeah." Mark chuckled, starting to gather his stuff.