Chapter 17

You know how when you have an intense work out and you can feel the lactic acidbuilding up in your muscles, only to remind you that the next day you are going tobe so sore that you think you'll never be able to move again? That's kind of what itfeels like to wake up from a car accident.

Except it hurts so much more.

I could feel the room around me. The beeping of the monitor that indicated therewas some part of me that was still alive even though I so desperately wished I hadbeen part of the carnage that was left in that wreck. I felt a certain calm, a eeriestillness to myself.

I knew what had happened, my family was all dead. I was left alone in this world.

My eyes slowly fluttered open to reveal a dark room with a small lamp as its onlystrong source of light on the bedside table next to me. I looked at my arm and sawthe tubes that led the IV fluids into my body.

How did life get so messed up.

I knew staring at the wall blankly wasn't going to get me any answers, but it was all Icould really manage at this moment.

Mom is dead.

George is dead.

Dad is dead.

I could feel my cheeks begin to become wet with tears.I'm alone-I-Im all alone

Gasps left my mouth as if I were some fish that couldn't accept that oxygen waswhat would kill it not save it.

~ ~ ~ ~

" You thinkin' about them?" Liam asked as he came and took a seat next to meunder the maple tree in his backyard.

"Yeah" I said as I looked onto the sunset that was blazing in the night sky.

"I never really stop thinking about them, they were my only family for all of my lifeand one day they just stopped being that and became corpses instead."

"I don't think that's true", "I don't think family stops being family once you die. Ithink that they just move away until your day comes and you move back in withthem." A smile formed on Liam's lips.

"Strange metaphor Liam" I said as a smile cracked onto my own face.

"I miss them"

I felt Liam's arms pull me over to him in a hug that seemed to put the parts of methat were falling apart back onto where they should be.

"I know" ..."Just don't forget we're your family now too."

I felt a small little kiss placed on my forehead making me feel small and protected.

It's going to be okay... maybe not right now, but it will eventually.

Life is messy, and just when you think you know what's going to happen next ittakes a turn, may it be for better or worse you won't know until you get there. Youhave to take life one step at a time.

And that's what I did.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

yeah guys..!!!! just hold on for the epilogue!! what will happen to Kaelyn after that tragic???