One: Rough Mornings

I, Karkat Vantas, have a fucked up home life. Sometimes I wonder why my life turned out the way it did, but other times I figure it is because I haven't been the son my mother wanted. Smart, strong, able to socialize.. Like my brother Kankri. He's not here to deal with our father and the abuse now, and it seems it only happened after he left. Oh God, how I wish I could have gone with him. I had been diagnosed with depression when I was young, around eight, and sent to the hospital on many accounts because of many reasons.

I looked over to my alarm clock, another restless night. 2:25.. It was 2:25 in the morning and my father decides it was the best time to come home drunk off his ass again. I know he was by the slamming of the door and clumsy steps making their way to his own room in this single floored home.

I was still sore from the beating I had received from the man, my face I could tell was bruised by now. I went wide eyed as I heard him leave his room, darting to my door and went to lock it, fear coursing through my veins as I felt myself shaking as my door swung open before I could even reach it, scuttling backwards instantly.

"C'mer ya fuckin' brat!" He slurred, snarling as he undid his belt and folded it in half, the leather almost glistening in the small amount of light coming from the window.
"N- Please no." I whimper, cowering back.

SLAP

Next thing I knew, the belt came down on me, the skin on my arm turning red and agitated. I tried to run, but I only made it half way down the hall before I was pinned down and beat there. I cry the whole while, trying to shrink down as much as I could.

When he was done, I could feel my whole body throb in pain as sobs wracked my body, shaking violently as he went back to his room growling things like "Useless piece of shit." and "Weak bitch.." before walking off

This, the early morning beatings, was normal nowadays. Although, I sometimes wish there was someone who I could talk to and they could take me away from this pain, just like it is in the romantic novels I have. 'Man wouldn't that be something..?' I think bitterly, shaking my head before attempting to push myself to a stand, falling back down. 'The floor is okay too..' I humor myself as I lay back and rest my eyes.

I lay there, awake the whole time as I think and try to envision my dream guy. Yes, guy. Not much came, just a false sense of warmth and security. When I was able to get up, I quickly gather clothes and a towel, planning on a shower before going to my friend, Gamzee's house, not caring that it was nearly three in the morning.

Locking the door behind me, I get the water started before getting undressed, trying not to look down at the pale, bruised skin. It didn't help that albinism made my skin pale as Hell, so marks had always been something easily seen with enough skin showing. Climbing into the shower, I sigh softly as the hot drops of water hit and rolled off my skin, white hair getting drenched and stuck to my head. The hot droplets rolled off my skin with ease, salty tears soon joining them as I tried all I could to keep myself from crumpling to the floor then and there.

Once washed up, my skin was red from the scolding water, though it bothered me none, getting changed into my black sweater, grey skinny jeans and slip a pair of socks on, going to slip my convers on at the door.

I knew my father was dead asleep by now, if the snoring emitting from room said anything. I scampered over to my room and grabbed my bag that I keep in my closet for days like this. Grabbing my phone, I message the stoner that sadly was my only true friend I could see.

KARKAT: HEY FUCKASS, IS IT OKAY IF I CRASH AT YOUR SHIT HOLE FOR THE NIGHT?
GAMZEE: YeAh BrO, jUsT bRiNg YoUr MoThErFuCkIn AsS oVEr As YoU pLeAsE
GAMZEE: yOu KnOw YoU dOnT hAvE tO aSk BrO
KARKAT: YEAH. JUST THOUGHT I'D MAKE FUCKING SURE DUMBASS
K