Eight: Waking With a Start

The next morning, Kankri had made breakfast for us before he had to leave, though I hadn't joined them, hiding in my room instead.

I was talking to Gamzee and Sollux once again, trying to block out the two men loudly conversing in the kitchen. I sighed before I told the two teens I had been messaging  that I had to go before pocketing my phone. I didn't have to go anywhere, but talking with people wasn't going to shake the uneasy feeling I had in my gut.

I carded a hand through my hair, shuddering as I felt the white, greasy strands that lay flat against my head. Huffing lightly, I checked the time, figuring that if it was about nine in the morning at the moment and Kankri didn't have to leave until about eleven, I could hop in the shower quickly and NOT have to worry about being alone with my father when I got out. So, without further hesitance, I hurried and grabbed a towel from a closet in the hall and headed towards the bathroom, locking the door behind me.

As I stepped into the shower, drawing the curtain closed and standing beneath the hot droplets of water, I closed my eyes as I washed the greasy mess. Looking down at the floor of the tub, I began to let myself wonder on a few things and let my thoughts wander further than I would normally let them, shaking my head as I reminded myself of a few things.

Those few thoughts that poked and prodded at my mind were, I was hanging out with Strider later, school started on Monday, and my father still needed to stack up on booze. Well fuck, didn't I have a fun week ahead of me?

That was sarcasm, very, very bad sarcasm.

I was lost in thought for the longest time as I washed off, eyes closed as many things flooded into my mind, frowning a little. I didn't even know my father was calling for me before a bang came at the door, causing me to jump.

"KARKAT VANTAS," My father boomed.
"JESUS F- What?!" I groan, turning the water off.
"There's someone at the door for you."
"Let them in, damn..." I say as I step out, figuring it was Gamzee.

I dried my hair off as best I could before I had wrapped a towel around my waist, throwing my clothes in the laundry basket that sat in the corner of the room. Stepping out, I head to my room, expecting whoever had came by to see me to have stayed in the living room and waited like a normal human being, but no.

It turned out to be the exact opposite of what I had expected. Like, the exact, down to the point, opposite of what the fuck I had expected.

Stepping into my room, my grip on the towel only tightened as I spotted the blonde's back to me. Dave seemed to be looking through one of the many romantic novels I had laying around my room, just standing there like he was meant to be there.

I stared for a second, frightened and confused before words shot out of my mouth without me even meaning to. "What the FUCK are you doing in my room!?" I yelled, catching his attention as he whirled around to face me.

"Shit bro, sorry. Your da-"
"OUT!" I yelled, pointing in the direction of the living room, hoping to God I wasn't a blushing mess.

'Wait.. Why would I be blushing?' I think as he walked past me, grumbling to myself as I slammed the door behind me. 

Raking my hands through my hair, I huff as I dry off quickly, pulling out clothes to change in to. My mind was racing, as I threw on an oversized sweater, jeans and a pair of socks. I dried my hair off once again before tossing the towel to the side, snatched my phone up and stormed out of the room, mind still acting up from the events that had occurred moments ago, not caring that my hair was a mess of white hair, sticking out every which way.

I walk to the living room, finding the three males standing there, feeling myself loose most of my anger as it was replaced with a bit of awkwardness instead. I hoped my face wasn't like a tomato again as my arms crossed across my chest, eying the three for a moment before Kankri pointed out my previously unnoticed presence, the other two looking over.

"Is something the matter, Karkat?" Kankri asked, I was still and silent for a moment before shaking my head.
"I'm fine." I say with a shrug as I looked up at my  father before looking down at the floor, leaning against the wall a little.
"Oh.. It just looked like yo-"
"I'm fine, fucktard." I growl as my eyes raised and narrowed on the older man. "What did you want?" I asked, attention pointed towards Dave now.
"Oh, like I was telling your.. Endearing family members here," He started with a smirk as he motioned to my father and brother. "I believe we had plans."
I furrowed my brows some before sighing in defeat. "I didn't think it'd be this early, a little heads up would have been nice." I say, close to a mumble.
"And.. How would you have liked me to do that?" He asked, taking a step forward, leaning forward a bit to be eye level with me, though the aviator shades he was wearing only made it seem as though I was looking at a- two copies of myself. "I don't have a number or any way to contact you."

I rolled my eyes, shaking my head and tore my eyes away from staring into his shades, looking at my brother before my eyes slowly moved to my father. I sighed and decided that it wouldn't help much to answer, he really did have me there, though he could have said something that could have warned me about a possible visit this early in one of the conversations we had had before today, planning for this and all.

"Anyways," Dave said, standing straight and turned to the two males who I am sadly related to. "I think we'll take our leave, if Karkles here is ready that is." He said.

My gaze had fallen again, not meaning to watch as his hands being stuffed in his pockets of his way too tight jeans that literally made almost everything stick out, especially that as- NO. My mind is NOT going there and I am NOT checking the guy out. Nope. Not a chance. I don't care how gay I am, I was not checking this guy out.

I felt a small heat rise to my cheeks as I deny myself, looking away as a pale hand was then snapping in front of my nose, pulling me to attention. I hum and look at the owner of the hand, finding Dave on the other side, laughing a little.

"Damn Kitkat, if I knew you get lost so easily like that, I would've brought a leash for you." He said in a light teasing manner.
My eyes narrowed on him. "No need.. Give me five and I'll be ready."
"Okay." He said with a nod before I had left the room.

I went straight to the bathroom, combing my hair to tame most of the mess, though a quick run through with my hand had made it messy as it almost always was on a good day. I tried telling myself that I would be okay, that I would try not to make a fool out of myself, though most of me was almost positive that I would.

Sighing after that small not-so-helpful pep talk, I exited the bathroom, making sure I had everything on me before grabbing a few bucks -about twenty-, just in case it was needed because you never know. I walked back to the living room, smiling sadly before I hugged and said my final goodbye to Kankri, knowing things would change fast after my brother was gone.

We embraced each other for almost half a moment before we separated, said another goodbye before I reminded Kankri to tell me when he landed and waving a small wave to my dad as Dave and I left.

"You sure you're ready for the best damn day of your life with the one and only, great, almighty, po-"
"Egotistic.." I mumble, earning a scowl.
"Slightly," He shrugged before continuing, "powerful, Dave Strider?"
"As long as that shit never happens again, I suppose this would be worth my fucking time." I grumble.
"Sweet, off we go!" He said before grabbing my wrist and started dragging me down the street.
"Where the fuck is your ass even fucking taking me?" I ask with a small whine laced in my words.
"I did some research on the town and found a bunch of things within walking distance. Figured we could hit up some of those places." He explains simply, shrugging.

I shake my head and follow behind, eventually pulling my wrist out of Dave's grip, though it took a bit of fighting and almost caused me to fall on my ass. I had my hands stuffed in my pockets, eyes down most of the time as I trailed behind the blonde, wondering what he had in store for the day.