Nine: A Day With Strider

It was another half an hour before we had reached the first place, a café that my family friend, Kanaya, ran with her cousin Porrim. Dave held the door open for a moment without me even realizing it as I had my eyes trained on the sign of the shop, only pulling to attention when Dave cleared his throat, laughing a little.

"Seriously thinking of buying you a harnessed leash, Karkles. You're getting lost again."
"I fucking apologize for taking time to admire the small shit." I mumble and walk in, the blonde trailing behind me.

I froze at the counter as I felt a hand be placed on my shoulder, though it was a familiar feeling and way too small to be a male's hand, I was confused before the person behind me spoke up.

"Karkat Vantas, would you care to explain why you haven't stopped by for a cup or two in, well.. Over a month? Kanaya and I were starting to worry!" Porrim said, causing me to breathe out a sigh of relief.
"Jesus Christ Porrim!" I say loudly, turning to face her, "Give me a fucking heart attack next time, would you?" I said, folding my arms over my chest.
"Oh, cut that out." She said, swatting my shoulder softly.

She walked behind the counter, writing down my order off of heart before taking Dave's, handing the ticket to one of the other girls behind the counter, staying by to talk to me afterwards, watching as she eyed the Strider boy that I had walked in with who was taking a seat at an empty table for two after letting me know.

"He's cute." She said quietly, smiling like a cat, eyes twinkling mischievously.
"I guess.." I say as I lean forward against the counter, chin resting on my hand that held my head up.
"Oh, come on Karkat, even I know it's more than just an 'I guess..'. He is gorgeous." She whispered, grinning.
"One: I think you're suggesting something. Two: I don't like that fucking look so I really know you're suggesting something." I grumble.
"Mr. Vantas, are you accusing li'l ol' me of suggesting that you should totally go after that fine looking cowboy."
"I'm fucking done with you." I say, whining as  I hide my face in my arms.
"Come on, isn't this a date?"
"What mak-"
"He's dressed nice, hair done, and he held the door open for you."
"And..?"

I guess she does have a point, I mean I've only seen Dave in regular t-shirts and jeans with his hair a bit messier than it was now, but by far less messier than mine. My hair was literally a rat's nest. Like, if a rat lived in my hair, I would not be surprised. I would probably keep it and name it Jimmy. Ah, yes, Jimmy and I would be the nastiest and meanest fuckers in town. Goddamn, that reality is sad, back to the real reality.

"-- ect for you." Shit, I missed that.
"I'm sorry, could you repeat that?" I mumble sheepishly, picking my head out.
"I sai-"
"Yo Por, which one's the blondie's drink?" Asked the barista who was making our drinks.
"Karkat's is the iced coffee.." She shrugged, humming softly as she turned back to me. "I think your boy's about to be swept up." She smirked.
"H- He's not- Ugh, dammit Porrim!" I groan and back into my arms I go.
"Are you blushing?" Porrim teased, earning a middle finger in turn. "Ouch, and here I thought you were playing nice."
"Nice? This is as nice as I'm getting." I say as I drop my hand. "Now, what were you saying."
She hummed, questioning my question. "Oh! Right.. I was saying that you should tell me more about this Dave character, you know, so I can see if he's the perfect one for you." She purred out.

The barista that made the drinks set my cup in front of me, I raised my head to thank her, catching the first few digits of a cellphone number on the cup before rolling my eyes. Oddly enough, I felt my stomach churn at the thought of Dave actually getting this girl's number, for whatever reason, trying to shake it as soon as I could.

"You okay Karkat?" Porrim asked, worried.
"Y- Yeah.. fine." I say dismissively.

She stared at me with a stern, motherly look, one I would constantly see her giving to Kankri. Speaking of my brother, I quickly made a move to change the subject finally. "Kankri was in town.. You see him?"