Four: Rising Suspicions

••~ Dave's P.O.V ~••

Watching as that Makara fellow drove off with the short albino, who I just learned was named Karkat, I was more than confused. Either Karkat was just really clumsy, like Makara had said, or something was going on behind these doors that neither was talking about.

I look back at the door of Karkat's home and sighed, keeping a straight face as I walk back over to my own home where I knew Dirk was probably fangirling over some anime in his room, letting my mind dwell on what the boy next door could be hiding as I got my turntables set up and started mixing beats, my head nodding a little.

Being so absorbed in my music, I hadn't even noticed my brother trying to get my attention, keeping my eyes down as I  continued to mix and play with the tunes that flowed into my headphones. Ignoring him successfully, I jumped away and tensed as the older male had pulled one my headphones off, making me mess up. "Dammit Dirk!" I yell in frustration.

"Sorry, but I was tryin' to get your attention for the last two minutes." He explained, as if that would make up for anything.
"Yeah? Well two more wouldn't have killed ya." I grumbled as I pulled myself back to the cool, stoic Strider I was.
"Yes it would." He answered, emotionless as he started at me through pointed shades.
"No, it would not." I retort.
"Yes."
"No."
"Yes."
"No!"
"No."
"Yes- Fuck." I groan  as he got me mixed up.
"Glad you agree with me." He smirked.
"Whatever, now do you want something or can you go face time with your boyfriend or whatever?"
"Skype, and he does have a name you know." He corrects before adding on. "And for your information, yes, I needed to tell  you that we're heading to the store in a few minutes so get your shit together."

I watched as he calmly left my room, confused, quiet for a moment before shaking my head. "I thought we stocked up on all we needed a couple days ago.." I mutter to myself before shaking my head once more and shut everything down.

••~ A week later (B/c I'm lazy) Karkat's P.O.V ~••

I was forced to go home the week after, my father playing the distressed, pitiful father on the phone with the police. The usual. The Makaras were threatened that if my father called again and I was staying there, they would be arrested. Their father, who I called Grand since childhood because of his height and muscular build, had simply retorted that he would like to see them try.

Gamzee offered to stay with me for a little while, and I was not going to object to having some comforting company around my house. So, now waiting at the Makara household, I stood by Gamzee's bedroom door with my bag as he packed his.

I watched him, slightly amused as he scrambled around the room for his clothes and items, wondering how long he planned on staying albeit knowing it'd be more than a day. I slowly started wondering how things at home had been, it was quarter past noon, looking down at the floor after my thoughts had drifted elsewhere, to somewhere they really shouldn't be. I was two months clean dammit and that was not going to end yet.

"You okay, Karbro?" Gamzee asked with a  small hum, now standing in front of me.
"Huh? Oh.. Yeah. You ready?"
He nodded with his dopey grin. "Yup."

I nod once and followed him out, being stopped on our way out by the older Makara men.

"Take care of him, would ya?" Grand said, tone sounding commanding though I knew it was just a request.
"Don't worry, he'll be fine.. I'm sure he smuggled some pot into his bag anyways." I say, rolling my eyes.
"What? Why'd you think that Karbro?" Gamzee asked, trying to play innocent.
"It's you, what else would you have fucking smuggled?"
".. Faygo?"
"I don't give a shit about that." I remind him, although not having a taste for the drink.
"Oh.. Right." He laughed.