Chapter 15:Rocky River

Drew's P.O.V
Splash!, we all land in the river, I kick my feet up and come to the surface,I cough water out of my lungs. I hear three splashes beside me and I know it's the boys. The strong current of the river is carrying us all downstream, the only good thing about it is that it's carrying us towards the sapphire. I see rocks up ahead and shout as loud as I can," rocks up ahead!!, watch out!!" I swim to the left and I miss a giant one by a mere inch. I see a wooden log up ahead, I shout," grab the log!" I'm almost to it, I bump into it and wrap my arms around it like a bear hug. I hear three heavy breathes and see the guys are in the same position. The log is moving fast downstream, I shout," as long as we hold on, we'll be fine!" I hope, I think. Suddenly Cole shouts," more rocks!" I look straight and see he's right, it's a zig-zag of rocks in the middle of the current. I shout," we have to stear it away from the rocks so we won't crash!" the guys nod, they're mouths are set in a grim line of concentration. A rock is up ahead, I shout," turn left!!"  we all push our weight and make the log turn left, we miss the rocks. I look ahead and see the nest, I get an idea, I let go of the log, and I let the current move me. I hear the guys yelling my name, I ignore them. I go underwater, I push up and come back to the surface. I see the nest, it's almost in my reach, I kick my legs and push forward, my arm outstretched, I grab the nest and pick the sapphire. I place it in my jacket pocket where the rest of the gems are. I'm about to yell to the guys that I have the final gem, when a big wave comes my way and pushes me towards the rocks, I slam the back of my head on one, and my body goes underwater, I see tiny shades of blackness near the center of my eyes. I try to kick my legs and reach the surface, but my body feels like someone tied a barbell on me. I'm almost out of breath completely. The shades of blackness have almost completely covered my eyes.  I hope the guys rescue me I think. I tighten my hand on the gem, there's no way I'm letting go of it, we've worked to hard to lose it. I open my mouth and let darkness consume me.