Chapter 5: Zoe

"Come in to my office." I say spinning around in my desk chair to face Janelle, smiling.

She enters and looks around, admiring my new office, "Hmm, its nice. Better than my cubicle that's for sure." She puts her hands on her hips, slightly ruffling her floral dress, and looks me in the eyes. "I still can't believe your his secretary now." She nodded her head to the wall connected to Mathews office.

"I know," I say sitting up in my chair and placing my arms on my new desk."me neither."

She smiled and looked to the window covered wall, then looked back to me and said," You wanna go grab dinner?"

"I can't tonight. Its mine and Jeremy's date night." I say and smile slyly.

"Ohhh" she says and wiggles her eyebrows at me, " 'date night', sounds like you're gonna have alot of fun."

I giggled and covered my mouth, "You know it."

I stood up from the chair and glanced at my newly decorated office with plants, and filing cabinets, and a picture of me and Jeremy sitting on my desk.

I'd been dating him for nearly four years now, and just waiting for him to pop the question. I moved into his apartment two years ago and ever since I'd gotten a job at the magazine and the café, I got to see him less and less, so we had to start planning our time together.

I stood up, straightened my pantsuit and walked with Jenelle to the elevator.

"So what will you guys be doing tonight?" She asked, pressing the ground floor button.

"He said it was a surprise. He told me to wear my best dress." I blush from memory and excitement.

"Aw I'm so excited for you." She said and patted my arm. "As for me," she sighed and looked to the ground in mock sadness. "I'm all by my lonesome."

I frown and it was my turn to put my hand on hers, "Oh Janelle, some guy is gonna watch you slurp a beer like nobody's business and he'll love it."

"Or be disgusted by it."

"Or be strangely intimidated by it." I added jokingly.

She smiled and the elevator dinged and the door opened.

We exited and said our good byes at the front desk because she still had two more hours left before she could leave.

I walked out of the massive building with golden spinning doors and whistled for a cab.

The yellow car pulled over quickly and I got in glancing in the rearview mirror to see the drivers face.

He wore a strange brown and black striped fedora, and a harsh face with facial hair clearly unkept, and a scar running closely under the left of his two bright blue eyes. He looked to be in his late forties early fifties.

"Where's it to?" He asked, his strange accent filling up the cab.

"34th Main Street." I said and straightened up in my seat.

He took the car out of park, but didn't answer.

Nice talking to you

I looked at the windows at the buildings and people that we passed. We went by the café and I saw it was yet again bustling with a crowd.

I couldn't wait to give them the money Mr. Johnson had given to me as a donation for it. They would love it so much.

Around 10 minutes later we pulled up to the apartment complex me and Jeremy lived in.