Chapter 11: Zoe

I fiddled with the white rose in my hand as I watched my mother drop hers into the 6 foot hole.

She stepped away and nodded to me. I walked forward and looked down into the grave to see the arrangement of flowers gone off of the top of the casket, now it was just a glimmering oak box, shining up at me.

"Rest in peace, Miranda." I whispered as I dropped the rose in.

I twisted my hands together as I walked back beside Jeremy in the crowd of people.

His arm snaked around my waist and I rested my head on his shoulder.

The preacher finished his ceremony and a lawyer approached me and my family.
My grandmother latched on to her daughter, and my mothers face held a serenity I could never accomplish.
Aunt Claire followed behind them and sent a sympathetic glance my way. I looked at Jeremy, he met my eyes and leaned down and kissed my forehead. I lead us to follow my family back into a funeral home into an office.

The lawyer was an elder man, probably around the same age as my mother, his white hair made it seem as though he was much older and wise.

"We are here to discuss Miranda Owens will." He said opening a brief case. "Sadly, she never got around to making one, so we'll have to distribute the items."

I heard a cough-like sob.

"Her money?" He asked looking up as he had gotten out a piece of paper.

"Split." My mother said. His hands moved quickly as the pen glided over the paper as he scribbled something down.

"Her home? And belongings?"

"We'll sell the house, and the belongings... we'll go through them." Aunt Claire said.

It went like this for a half an hour, just auctioning off Miranda's stuff to relatives, I never said a word and kept my eyes on the moving pen.

"And finally," the lawyer said, wiping his face of sweat with a handkerchief in his pocket, "who will be the guardian of Dakota Owens?"

It was quiet as people thought about who would take my sister's son. A couple murmurs and denies.

"I-" my mother started but I interrupted her with my first words through the meeting, "I will." I felt adrenaline run through me.

Jeremy grabbed my arm, "Zoe, we have an apartment. You work two jobs."

"Yes, I know, Jeremy, but you're never home, and I know I have two jobs, I know I can make things work." I say back.

My mother stood up and grabbed my hands, "Zoe, this is a child we are talking about. Youre 23. Are you sure you want to go through with this?" She asked. "I can take him, Zoe."

"No. I will." I say, "Mom, you already raised 2 kids, I can handle Dakota. Miranda would've wanted me to take him. He's the only thing I have left of her." I stand up and my mother let go of me, "I will become his guardian."

All eyes in the room were on me, all my cousins, aunt's, uncles, grandmother, mother, and boyfriend. I felt the sadness around me, I felt the worry for me, I felt the heavy air in the room.

I looked at my mom, her eyes met mine, and tears welled up in her eyes as she smiled at me, making my throat constrict, and I fell into her embrace and let the tears come.

"Ok, ladies and gentlemen, that's it." The lawyer stood up and fixed his suit. "Dakota is waiting in the dining hall."

"Does he know about this?" I asked.

"He has been informed, yes."

"Does he disapprove?"

"No, ma'am," the lawyer said, "he did not answer."