Chapter 20: Zoe

Mathew stormed out of the house, gripping hard on to my shoulder, guiding us back to the vehicle.

"I think someone's jealous." I drawl, looking at him out of the corner of my eye.

He scoffed. "At whom are you suggesting?"

"You."

He jerked his arm away and opened the door for me. "What on earth would make you think I am jealous? Jealousy is not my forte. I get what I want."

I climbed in and held on tighter to Dakota, careful not to hit him against anything. I plopped down, and set him beside me. He groaned and tucked himself into me.

I smiled as I buckled us in and he sat down beside us.

The car started slowly, gaining speed as the the lights flickered on on the nearby streets.

His jaw was clenched tight and he avoided my eyes.

"Oh come on, Mr. Johnson. Admit it. You're jealous of your brother." I smirked.

His brown orbs snapped to mine.

"Why would I be jealous of my brother? He's nearly got a bus load of children, not to mention that-"

"Not that one, and you know it." I interjected.

He can't hide from me.

"Joey?"

I nodded.

He let out a short but loud laugh, "And why the hell would I be jealous of Joey?"

I crossed my legs, watching his eyes flash down to them, then back up to mine. "Because. I think you want me."

"Want you? You think I want you? If I wanted you, Miss Stevens, I would have you. But I don't. I don't want you. So climb off your high horse and come back to the reality where I'm your boss and you're the lowly secretary."

My mouth fell open and for some reason, my throat constricted.

"High horse? Lowly secretary?" I felt hurt. "Mr. Johnson, I was just joking around, poking a little fun. How dare you say such things. Have you ever met you? You're no walk in the park, Mr. Johnson. Here I thought I was getting close to you. Maybe even becoming friends but then you do shit like this and then I remember why I won't let you call me by my first name." I snapped.

My heart was beating hard, and my cheeks were on fire.

Not just my cheeks, my whole body was burning. I was angry. He had no right to say any of that.

"Miss Stevens, you couldn't do anything if I did call you Zoe." He retorted, looking out of the window with a bored expression.

Suddenly my hand whipped across his face.

I felt pleasure when I saw a red mark appear within a couple seconds.

His jaw worked, his eyes narrowed, and his anger barely withheld.

"Miss Stevens-"

"What?" I shout, "You gonna fire me? You and I both know good and well you can't do that. You lose me you lose that article! And you so desperately need that."

It was quiet.

We rode in silence until Dakota stirred.

"Mr. Johnson, when we get home, will you come and look at my new bed?" He asked.

Mathew continued to look out the window.

He turned slowly to meet my eyes.

I gave a solemn nod.