Chapter 21: Mathew

I hoisted the racecar bed frame farther on my shoulder, trying to get a better grip on it.

I watched Zoe in front of me, carrying a laundry basket and two bags full of who knows what. Dakota followed close behind her, he reached for the end of her shirt to hold on to.

"Zoe," I tested my voice, raspy as usual, but no one had spoken since we had exited and we were nearing the exit of the building.

"What?" She snapped.

I cleared my throat, "My car is still out here if you would like my services."

"That would be greatly appreciated " she hissed, she sounded sarcastic but I think she did actually need my help.

The doorman held the door open for us with a confused expression.

"Thank you, my good man." I say as I passed.

My car was stilled parked infront of the building, and, as if on cue, Alejandro popped the trunk.

Zoe shoved her things in the back and turned to Dakota to lift him into her arms. I began putting the stuff in the back as well, trying to make sure there was enough room.

I reached up and brought the door down, and turned to the two.

Dakota had his arms wrapped tightly around Zoe's neck, and looked like he was trying to console her, with whispers in her ear. Zoe's sad face quirked up a bit with whatever he was saying, and she buried her face into his shoulder, holding him tighter.

My throat consticted for them.

I walked over the the door and held it open for them, they hugged for a minute more, and then they climbed in.

I straightened my tie and ran my hand through my hair.

Today has been one hell of a day.

I climb in and sat beside Dakota, who had Zoe's arm over his shoulders, her hand close to my thigh. She held her hand closer to Dakota as to not to touch me.

The car started moving.

"Where are we going?" She asked quietly.

I sat for a moment.

I hadn't thought this far ahead.

"My house. You guys can stay the night there." I scratched the scruff on my chin.

"Mr. Johnson, we can't do that. I don't want to intrude in on your home." She grabbed on to my forearm, the first contact she'd made with me in awhile.

"I'm inviting you, so no intrusion. I insist."

She paused and I met her eyes.

The green seemed duller than usual, tired and sad, gray circles had formed underneath them. She seemed to not have enough energy to try to argue further.

"Alright... thank you." She released my arm and tightened her hold on the little boy.

"My pleasure." I say, still feeling the presence of her hand on my arm even though it was no longer touching me.

~~~~~~ Zoe

We pulled up to the most beautiful house I'd ever seen. Large white pillars held two spots in the front with a white granite finish on the porch, a dark double door, black shuttered windows, beautiful lawn decorations with a lavish flower garden in the front and a fountain in the middle of the circular driveway. I had a feeling it was even more beautiful in the daylight.

"Wow..." I mumble as the car slowed to a stop.

Dakota moved to look out the window.

It was late. Nearly 11 o'clock.