Chapter 14 Intervention

Harry

Harry opened the door to George's jokeshop, it was busy for nine o'clock in the morning.

"Harry, good to see you!" George exclaimed, clasping Harry's hand and shaking it up and down.

"Yeah, good to see you too, George," Harry said, quite relieved George had let go of his hand. "Is Ron here?" He asked, trying to sound casual.

George's merry expression was wiped away and replaced with one of concern.

"Yeah, up here," George led him up a flight of stairs and the emerged on a landing. There was three doors, above one was a metal plaque with the word 'bathroom' stencilled on. The next read 'George' and the very last; 'Fred'.

Harry felt a pang of guilt, after all, Fred had died trying to keep him safe.

"He's in here," George knocked lightly on the door that said 'Fred' above it. No answer. George knocked again, still no answer.

"Er," George looked at loss of what to do, "you could-"

"It's OK, George," Harry said, "I'll take care of it."

"OK," George said, "if you need help, I'm just downstairs." George turned and retreated down the stairs.

Harry pushed open the door, a pitiful sight met his eyes: Ron lay on the bed, his red hair unkempt, empty bottles of butterbeer lay on the floor next to the bed.

"Ron, what are you doing?" Harry said, it was more of a statement than a question, but Ron answered anyway.

"I'm cooling off" He grumbled, pushing the covers away from his face to make his words more coherent.

"Get up," Harry ordered.

Ron sat up, Harry almost wished he hadn't - the stench was foul. It took him great restraint not cover his nose, how long had it been since he'd seen Ron? Three days at the most.

"Are we done now?" Asked Ron, "can I be left alone?"

"No," Harry said, "you are going to get up, go in the shower, brush your teeth and hair, then shower again, and go talk to Hermione."

"I can't," Ron protested, "she doesn't believe me, the only way she could is if she saw what had happened," Ron flopped back down on the bed.

"That's it," said Harry slowly, "we'll just show her your memory of that night."

Ron sat bolt upright in his bed, "that's a great idea!" He exclaimed, "I'm going to shower!" He lept up and ran from the room.

Harry looked around at the mess, waved his wand once and righted everything. He opened the curtains to let sunlight through and flung open the windows.

Ginny

Ginny sat on the edge of Hermione's bed.

"You know what Romilda's like," Ginny said.

"Yes, I do," Hermione replied, "but it doesn't mean Ron wasn't cheating."

"Well, he wasn't," Ginny said, exasperated, "I know Ron and I know he wouldn't."

"But-" Hermione began to argue.

"Hermione!" Ginny cried, losing patience, "just because it looked like he was cheating, it doesn't mean he was! Things aren't always what they seem!"

"Ginny-"

"Hermione! Look, Ron's on his way - just listen to what he has to say before you throw something."

Hermione scowled, "fine," she grumbled, "I'll listen."

"Good," Ginny said, relieved that Hermione wasn't being as stubborn as usual, "Ron's going to be here any min-"

Crack!

Ron and Harry had apparated directly into the room, Ron and Hermione stared at each other not saying anything.

"We'll just go," Ginny said, taking Harry's hand and pulled him out of the room.

Ginny pressed her ear to the door, hoping she could hear the conversation, but all she heard was Hermione saying "muffliato,"  and then she couldn't hear a thing.

"I can't hear anything," she said to Harry, "you know what this means?"

"That you're really nosy?" Harry suggested.

"No," Ginny replied, "it means she doesn't want us to hear her forgive him."

"Lets go downstairs," Harry tugged on Ginny's arm slightly and lead her down the stairs, they sat in the living room for half an hour before Hermione and Ron reappeared holding hands.

Ginny decided not to make a remark about it but instead said, "I wonder if we've got any post today," she wandered over to the windowsill where the owl belonging to her and Harry was perched, waiting for someone, Ginny took the letters from him just as another owl landed on the windowsill. Ginny removed the letters from its beak and put two bronze knuts in the little leather pouch attached to its leg, the owl hooted and flew off.   

"Harry, there's a letter for you," Ginny said handing him the letter, "oh, there's one for me and two for us." She put the two letters addressed to her and Harry on the coffee table then opened the letter for her.

"Ginny," Harry said before Ginny could read her letter, "Ginny, they want me as an auror!"

"What?" Ginny exclaimed, happily, "that's great!" She flung her arms around him and kissed him, when they broke apart Harry was congratulated by Ron and Hermione, leaving Ginny to open her letter.

'Dear Ginny Weasley,

I have been to several of your Hogwarts quidditch matches and I was very impressed by the way you play, we have a spot vacant on our team for a chaser and we thought you would be perfect.

Please send a reply within three days of receiving this letter.

Yours sincerely,

Gwenog Jones ~ Captain of the Holyhead Harpies.'

"Oh my God!" Ginny cried, "Oh, holy Merlin's pants!"

"What is it, Gin," Harry asked curiously, craning his neck to see the letter.

"The Holyhead Harpies want me!" Ginny practically screamed.

"That's amazing!" Harry cried, lifting her up and spinning her around, "well done!" He put her down, "when's your first practice?"

"No idea!" Ginny exclaimed excitedly, "she needs me to reply first!"

Ginny dashed about grabbing a quill, some parchment and a bottle of ink. She sat down and wrote,

'Dear Gwenog Jones,

I completely accept, thank you so much.

Yours sincerely,

Ginny Weasley.'