Chapter 21 Him or Me?

Hermione (continued)

"I'm home!"

Hermione's head shot up so fast she got a crick in her neck, she massaged the painful area nervously. Ron walked into the living room.

"Hi, beautiful," he said, swooping down and kissing Hermione on the cheek, her face burned with guilt.

"Oh, Ron, you're too kind," George joked and Ron shot him a playful glare.

Hermione's stomach was filled with tiny elves in stiletto heels dancing around, how much longer could she keep this up? The guilt was practically eating her heart. Ron looked so happy, how could she tell him? Draco sat on the sofa next to her, looking more relaxed than Hermione imagined herself to.

George lent down and whispered in her ear, "you tell him, or I will."

Hermione took a deep breath, she couldn't say it, it isn't easy to say: "I love you, but I kissed your old arch enemy." She knotted her fingers so tightly together they felt like they were going to snap and somehow the physical pain calmed her. Inside her head she was waging a silent battle:

Do it now!

No, don't!

Now!

No!

Now!

But look how happy he looks!

Do it now!

Hermione un-knotted her fingers, then-

"I kissed Draco!" She blurted out.

The smile slid of Ron's face like water off a window.

"What?" He said.

"I'm sorry!" Hermione cried, "I don't know how it happened! I was in the kitchen getting breakfast, then his lips were on mine!"

Ron's face darkened, his expression fierce, he was terrifying to behold, he ran his fingers through his flaming red hair. "You kissed Draco?" He growled, "you kissed Draco when you're my girlfriend!"

"Please," Hermione felt tears running down her cheeks. "It was an accident!"

"An accident?" Ron repeated furiously, "what, you- you tripped and fell onto his lips?"

"No! It wasn't like that! Please!"

"It was my fault," Draco intervened, "I kissed her, she told me to stop because she loved you but I just wanted her so much."

"You shut up!" Ron snarled, he turned back to Hermione who was now downright terrified. "you make me sick," he said in a low disgusted voice. "You were so angry at me when I got kissed by Romilda and I knew it was my fault. You kiss Draco and suddenly it's not your fault, you're such a hypocrite."

"I don't remember you kissing Romilda!" Hermione heard herself yell.

"WELL, YOU SHOULDN'T HAVE KISSED HIM ANYWAY!" Ron bellowed, he turned and walked towards the door, "I need some time but I don't see how we can get past this one." With that, he dissapparated.

Ginny

Hermione was sobbing, Draco was in shock and Harry -who had just walked through the door- looked utterly bewildered.

"You should go," Ginny told Draco. Draco nodded, rose to his feet and disappeared into thin air.

Harry stood in the doorway with the most confused expression Ginny had ever seen, it would have been almost comical if the situation had not been so terrible.