dinner plans

chapter seventeen ;; dinner plans
jeongguk's perspective
°..:*°

"I was wondering if you wanted to go to this new restaurant that I found." Taehyung looks over at me from the ground. It was currently the time before English class starts, and Taehyung decided to come over to my area, squatting down next to my desk since all the other seats were already taken or too far away. People did curiously look at us, confused that Taehyung would be hanging around with me. It seems like no one had noticed our close proximities around school before, "They have the best meat and-"

"Tae," my voice cuts through his sentence, sending him a somewhat annoyed stare. Nicknames had apparently become a thing between me and him, "I don't eat meat, Tae, you know that."

"You don't?" he loudly questions, confused eyebrows meeting towards one another. I nod, "I thought that you didn't eat dairy or eggs-"

"That's what I do eat."

A girl with bouncy, black curls walks behind Taehyung, stopping behind him with a slight pep and strategically taps his shoulder with one finger. My hands ball into fists, anger and desperation bubbling inside of me, feeling that drastic difference in superiority between her and I. This girl wasn't Seoyun, but she surely could whisk Taehyung away just as easily.

Her face sweetly smiles down at Taehyung who turns around, slowly standing back up once again and facing her, "Hi?" he questions with clear confusion. His mouth pouts out when he's unsure of a situation, and I feel the urge to tug on Taehyung's sleeve.

"Taehyung," the girl brightly speaks with a flirtatious undertone, "Seoyun wanted to know if you guys were on for something after school today with the two of us."

My eyes drill holes into the desk, and red was running across my face with fury. I was never a person who got mad easily, but the way the girl was speaking and the fact that Taehyung had a slight smile on his face made my blood boil. I was never one to get jealous easy, except the newly formed crescent-shaped indents from nails in the palm of my hands say otherwise. I was Taehyung's, not her.

I am the one who is drawn to this boy. I am the one who belongs to him, and he belongs to me. The revelation of lonesomeness was bound to be found at some point, but it still slammed into my head at a thousand kilometers per hour. I, in no way, belonged to Taehyung. I wasn't his and he wasn't mine. I was nothing. I was a boy entranced by another through endless nights of arms of light and stares of intent. Smiles that flow through and through pushed up against walls by tears of sorrow in a heap of confusion and terror. My eyes widen, and the vision goes blurry for a moment.

I finally understood how Jimin has been feeling for all of this time, for all of these weeks on end, and it made me feel immense empathy.

"I'm sorry, but tell Seoyun that I won't be able to do anything, I have other plans." It was firm, true, and sent my head into a lightness like no other. I wondered if it was obvious, if you could see the way my hands loosened underneath the desk, if you could see my eyes soften and chest go slack when my breath hitches.

When did my heart decide that I wanted something more with Taehyung? Or maybe I should be asking myself the question, when did it fucking not?

----

The date was now on. I don't even know if you could even call it a date, and Taehyung was currently to my side. He still kept a healthy distance between the two of us, but I found myself wanting to fill it now. My feelings were that of a teenage girl day dreaming over their crush that had noticed them for once. It made me cringe, shameful of my stupid brain.