awkward duet

chapter twenty ;; awkward duet
jeongguk's perspective
°..:*°

Awkward would be a way to put it lightly. Ever since the kiss from five days ago, the moment when my lips finally learned how they felt on Taehyung's in sweet bliss, things didn't quiet seem the same. Apparently, Taehyung didn't find it necessary to talk about the situation. He kept quiet and so did I.

Seokjin had come along, asking what happened. My only response was a light smile and a 'nothing really'. If Taehyung wouldn't talk to me about it, I wouldn't discuss it with anyone else because, obviously, he wanted nothing to do with anything romantic relating towards me. I was a single rose petal falling into an abyss.

It hurt, knowing that there was nothing to hope for anymore, and I hated myself for ever beginning to hope in the first place. Even with the closure of now understanding Taehyung can claim immense emotion, the idea of having this new found barrier between us hurt like hell. I trusted. I wanted. I hoped, and I was stripped away of those feelings, the possessor being him. His ability to control me like a puppet was intimidating, swirling and twirling at a flick of his wrists that I used to hold tightly to.

Short glances were shared with tied hands and mouths that were clamped shut. Did Taehyung even think about what had happened? Surely, he did. That's why he'd be avoiding me. It's obvious that he was. There was no longer a beautiful pestering boy next to my locker or with me at lunch. It was vacant, only Jimin once more. Jimin didn't question why Taehyung was no longer around me, but I think that he was glad that he wasn't. Scratch that, I knew that Jimin was happy. There was no longer the boy that'd stay close to me.

Every time Taehyung and I would pass by in the heavily populated hallways, our shoulders would brush, and I'd curse the pink which would return, how my heart feebly picks up even though I say no. Jimin was now the person that I tried to blush from, my attempts not working. It all returned back to the way it was before I'd transferred to the advanced English class.

Some part of me felt like I was overreacting to the whole situation. Friends stop talking on a daily basis, but maybe it was the closure that I wanted more than anything. It's the way that things were left off, and the way I'd said his name in his car on the way to my home. It came out breathy and somewhat helpless, too scared to be heard. And maybe, just maybe, Taehyung would've listened more if I had spoken louder.

An arm wraps around my shoulders, pulling me close, earning a soft peck on the cheek. The height difference wasn't the same as it used to be. Subconsciously, my body longed for the feeling of a four inch difference to still be there, but that person did no effort to make it come back. Jimin's lips didn't seem as soft, and his hands couldn't fit around my thighs like Taehyung's could. Things became much closer between Jimin and I, including the proximity shared between the two of us.

"Jeonggukie," Jimin brightly says, and my fake smile shows, a faltered dull glow emitting, "I was wondering if I could come to your house today and play that new video game you were talking about." His tone was a bit too loud since my ears had gotten used to the soft one Taehyung used.

It was a stupid idea for me to mention the video game. If I hadn't, I wouldn't be bound to say yes, "Of course you can, just find me after class dismisses."

Jimin nods and breaks away from the side hug that was held between us both. It wouldn't be a struggle to find me amongst the others, Jimin always did in the end. If only Taehyung would be able to see how Jimin and I were now, he wouldn't exactly favor the sight, and I sadly wished that he'd someday walk along and catch us and break it apart in rage. But I had to remind myself something, that those days were over, and Taehyung would never turn violent.