about you

chapter eighteen ;; about you
taehyung's perspective
°..:*°

Part of me felt like I was completely stupid for doing this, just like what the rest of the guys said, but the other part felt like I was doing the right thing, that this was meant to happen and that it will happen properly.

I didn't know how or why, but I was going to try and help Jeongguk with who he is, first step learning about what he was, before whatever happened. It was evident that trauma had been induced onto the poor boy. Jeongguk sleep talks, and from the nights that I've spent with him already, I've heard far too many alarming things.

I'd left them to the side, deciding that it was just a nightmare. That was the first night that I stayed over, the night when he called me in tears. Now, it had been a solid six nights that I've spent with him and six nights where he would do things in his sleep. It would range from immense rustling around as if he were being put down to quiet sobs. Sometimes, there'd rarely be a time where he would let out a soft mumble of a chain of words, usually consisting 'sorry' and 'please'. I never slept very well while at his house after the first night.

I had watched him each night, far before I shut my eyes, if I ever did. Jeongguk was a work of art, a masterpiece- beautiful. The bruises that littered his arms and hands were like splashes of bright paint against a solemn canvas. His rosy cheeks and lips coherent with his sometimes red knuckles on his dainty hands were nothing but mesmerizing. Synonyms for Jeongguk: small, tiny, peaceful, calm, obedient, independent, quiet, special; the list goes on and on, there being no end on how you could describe him.

Today, Jeongguk wasn't curled up into a ball that resembled his hands that are usually small fists, but was in fact singing to the radio, smiling. Our windows were down all the way, and Jeongguk's neat hair was flying about in a fury of black, like a flock of crows cutting across the light sky.

The song was about the west coast and how it wasn't made out to be. There was no glam weaved into things like the other songs and movies show. It reminded me of myself. People would suspect that I'm amazing and talented by my exterior and good rumors, but in reality, I'm just as fucked up as the next person.

The volume suddenly and quickly turns down, pulling me out of my thoughts and removing my eyes from the road ahead, instead looking at Jeongguk who continued to turn the volume knob to the left. His eyes met mine, and both of our eyebrows simultaneously furrowed.

"-Why did you turn the volume down?"

"-Are you okay?"

We said the words at the same time, both of our voices fighting the other to be heard. A mess of words collide to form two sentences that don't mix. Both of us timidly look away for a moment before meeting eyes again, "Why'd you turn the volume down?" I ask before Jeongguk can beat me to talking.

"Because you looked funny." Jeongguk vaguely explains, slightly tilting his head to the side.

"Is there something on my face?" My eyes glance back to the road to make sure that I was alright for now before looking back over at the younger boy, who no longer had the bright glow that he did not even a minute ago.

"N-No," He quickly resounds, not wanting to offend me, "it's just that...your face- the expression, yeah, the expression looked like something was off in your head." Jeongguk tries his best to explain, looking down at his hands as a flustered mess.