5. late date

The motel had a row of rooms at each side of the parking lot, with a narrow service lane running behind them

The motel had a row of rooms at each side of the parking lot, with a narrow service lane running behind them. Aldana waited for Russell to reach the backdoor of Nelson's room. When he whispered over the radio that he was in position, she knocked on the front door.

"Albert Nelson, this is the police, open the door," she called, state badge and gun in hand.

There was no answer, but she heard a shuffle away from the front door.

"Going your way," she said on the radio.

And she was right: not a moment later, the couple tried to leave the room out the backdoor. To meet Russell's smile behind his Glock.

"Bad luck, guys. It's the FBI on this end."

So they had no choice but going back inside with Aldana and Russell. She let him ask the questions and took care of Katy, who was a complete wreck of tears and stress.

It was no surprise that Albert Nelson only knew the nicknames of the men he'd hired to abduct his own son: a friend had a friend who had a friend who knew them. And of course he had nothing but the number of a burner to reach them. Yet the aliases were enough for Brandon to search VICAP, and soon they had full names and mug shots for both of them.

They were supposed to live in Waltham, not ten minutes away from where the runaway car had been stolen, so Fred and Hank paid a visit to their reported addresses on their way back to Boston, just to find both apartments had been vacant for at least a month.

Russell confirmed that Albert Nelson was supposed to wait for their call that night, to fix the final payment and where they would deliver Jimmy to him in the morning. By then, Tanya swore on her hacker's honor that there were no traces of the car leaving the Orient Heights area.

Gillian showed Brock a detailed map of the neighborhood, with its diamond-like design. "This is where I think they're hiding. I wanna search it, but I don't think we should have cruisers on the street to tip them off. I'd rather do it ourselves, and place the cruisers at the neighborhood's accesses, to check any vehicle coming in or out. The lack of cross-streets should make it easier for us."

Brock realized she waited for his opinion and nodded, making her flash a tight smile.

"Shall we, then?" she said, grabbing her jacket.

He paused right outside the station, as Gillian hurried to her car. "I'm afraid Coleman took our SUV," he said.

"Then I'm afraid you're stuck with me, Agent Brockner," she replied, and even though she wasn't looking at him, he heard the smile in her voice.