8. keyword

Phil breathed heavily, toying with the trigger of the gun, but all Gillian could think about was what he'd just said: 'Agent Coleman'

Phil breathed heavily, toying with the trigger of the gun, but all Gillian could think about was what he'd just said: 'Agent Coleman'. Was it possible? Could Russell be right out the door and handling the crisis? Could she be so lucky? She needed to know, so she shot a warning glare at Cook and straightened up.

"Phil..."

"What!"

The young man had lost all of his pretended cool, pacing up and down and dangerously playing with his gun.

"Hey, easy, it's just me."

For some reason it worked. He stopped pacing and Gillian noticed he was actually about to apologize for being rude. It was completely spontaneous, and it fed her curiosity. Who was he? How had he gotten himself into that situation? Later. If Russell was really out there, he'd have all the answers she needed.

Gillian stood one step closer to Phil, so only he heard her. "Phil, did you just say Agent Coleman?"

He nodded annoyed. "Yeah, some damn fed!"

Gillian flashed a tight smile—bet Cook liked your answer.

"Look, Phil, I know Agent Coleman, and he's not just some fed. He's a good man, and he'll do everything he can to help us out."

"Yeah, sure he will!"

Gillian's smile widened and she glanced at the shop window, inviting Phil to do the same. He did.

"Did you see SWAT lurking around a while ago? Well, right now Agent Coleman is the one keeping the big guns away. He really wants to help us, but you gotta help'im in return."

"What d'you mean?"

"Look at us, Phil: you have twenty, he's got squat. You should cut'im some slack, 'cause he's damn good, but he ain't no magician."

Cook grunted behind Gillian. She and Phil turned to scowl down at him. One of the waitresses looked up at them, worried.

"He keeps bleeding!"

Bleeding or not, Cook took the chance to bull some more. "Jerk! You're going down for this!"

Gillian clenched her teeth. Stupid runt, always screwing up! Phil leaned toward him, finding back his smirk.

"Sure I am, old man. The question is if you're coming down with me." The phone rang and he picked up annoyed. "What! Are you sending Strafford?"

Russell tried to speak. "Phil, listen to—" But Phil hung up on him again.

Gillian touched Phil's arm gently. He stiffened at her touch and glared at her. Cook was grunting his threats again, but she kept Phil distracted from him. She decided to play the plain-to-see gambit.

"Phil, please send my boss out. Trust me, you don't wanna keep'im around. It'll work both ways: you give Agent Coleman something and we get rid of him."

She was saying nothing but the truth, and Phil could see it. The phone rang again and he nodded at Gillian to pick up. She didn't make him ask twice.

"Agent Coleman?"

Out on the street, at the tent, all of them looked up in surprise.

"Reg! You okay?"

Gillian felt the warm wave of relief washing over her at the sound of his voice. "Yeah, yeah, we just need a minute here." She looked up at Phil, raising her eyebrows—so? He nodded, and she held his eyes to say, "Agent Coleman, please send a medic. Captain Cook is going out and he needs attention."

"Only one medic!" Phil said, raising his voice for Russell to hear him.

"Right away!"

Gillian hung up, smiling at Phil. "You're doing the right thing."

"They better don't try any trick, ma'am," he warned.

"They won't, you can trust them."

Cook's snort only made her words sound more honest.