5. eyes inside

**picture: Boston downtown traffic

Pretty much about to start shooting cars out of their way, Brock urged Brandon for an update. He told them what he was watching on one of his screens. "There's a wounded man. LT is taking care of him."

"That's Cook," said Russell.

"Palmer is lining up hostages against the shop window."

"He's making a human shield," grunted Brock.

"Can you feed the stream to my tablet?" asked Russell.

"Sending it."

"Is there any other sign of violence?" asked Brock.

"No, sir. All of them look fine, given the circumstances."

Russell browsed the stream. "Cook's shot in his leg. But him in there is bad news."

Brock nodded, agreeing. "He will antagonize Palmer."

"Reg will keep'im from causing more harm."

Well, that was some statement, but Brock knew he was right: Gillian would always antagonize Cook rather than Palmer.

"What news from Cooper?" he asked. "With two officers among the hostages, locals will try to take things in their own hands."

"She's on the phone with the Mayor as we speak, sir."

"Looks like Reg's built some kind of rapport with Palmer," Russell said then, watching his tablet. "He's lined up most of the hostages between him and the window, but she's called a waitress to stay with Cook, and now she's behind the counter. Brandon, patch me through with the SCU."

"Right away!"

Russell kept watching the feed on his tablet and his scoff made Brock shoot a questioning scowl at him.

"Reg's fixing Palmer a coffee. Give'er a couple of hours..."

"We may not have that long," Brock replied.

He took a moment to wonder why he was suddenly annoyed, and realized that it was the perspective of seeing Gillian again. He stopped right there, because he wasn't going to dig deeper into that. Not right then. Actually, not ever.

"Russell! You're really coming?" asked a man on the phone.

"We're five minutes away. Hank, Reg texted me about a ladies-room window, find it in the blueprints."

"Got it."

"This is gonna make the news any minute now. What about Connor?"

"Banks went to pick'im up."

"Good."

"The Mayor just confirmed our jurisdiction. The case is yours," informed Brandon.

"Hank, make sure your colleagues are aware."

"I will, but you better hurry."