13. no break

At the meeting room, Brock sat across the table from Aldana and asked her, "Sergeant Miles, the second bomb didn't go off until the Bomb Squad arrived

At the meeting room, Brock sat across the table from Aldana and asked her, "Sergeant Miles, the second bomb didn't go off until the Bomb Squad arrived. Do you think the subject is monitoring the PD with a police scanner?"

Aldana replied right away, "No, it exploded when Ron secured the first bomb. My best guess is that it was a boom-boom situation: if we screwed up with the first bomb, it would've exploded in our faces; and securing it activated the second bomb."

"Last night's device was rather simple and small, am I right? But now we're talking about something both efficient and sophisticated."

"Exactly. If I'm not wrong, the subject set both bombs to be activated by a single remote trigger—a phone. He called the phones attached to the bombs and they stayed linked, like an ongoing telephonic conference. When one of the receivers 'hung up', 'cause the safe container's materials blocked the signal, the other one went off."

Brock nodded. He knew Aldana wasn't nearly as trained in explosives as Ron, but he expected her answers would tell him more about the bomber's psyche than his skill. However, she'd been very clear and specific.

She went on. "The subject made the call before we removed the device from the trash bin, so the automatic energy-saving mode of the phone had already turned the screen off. In these cases, you have to be very careful to not touch any of the phone's buttons, and that's why we didn't realize the phone had an active ongoing call."

"And what if you 'hang up' from the phone making the call? Would that prevent the bombs from exploding?"

"That should do the trick. Maybe. One thing's for sure, Agent Brockner: what the subject did requires both explosives and electronics background."

"Skills required to join the SCU."

"Among others, yeah."

"What range can this remote trigger have?"

Aldana grimaced. "If he's using phones, the range depends on the coverage. So he can be all the way across the city."

Brock narrowed his eyes, feeling that last bit of information was important in the puzzle. "Any name that comes to mind, Sergeant?"

"Police experts are a tight circle in town—and I'm not in it. But there's no telling about those from military background. And let me tell you, now we need to be really careful. With Ron outta the game for a while, the subject deprived us of the best explosives expert in town."

"You mean we can't trust the department's Bomb Squad?"

"Yes, we can, but Perkins' boys are a little... hasty."

Brock was about to ask his last question when they heard Gillian's voice from the main office. "T, you're up!"

Both of them hurried out and Gillian turned to them.

"We just got another threat!"

Brock stepped back into the meeting room to turn on the plasma and read the email aloud from the screen, "Hope is a good breakfast, but is a bad supper."

"Sir Francis Bacon," said Gillian, walking in.

"Reg! The sender's still online!" cried Tanya. "We're tracking him!"

Brock scowled. "Bad supper..." he repeated, and faced Gillian's suspicious frown. They said it at the same time: "He's striking again tonight!"