6. pretty backup

Soon they were at Saratoga and Bennington, just past the bridge, where they met Ron, Fred and Hank

Soon they were at Saratoga and Bennington, just past the bridge, where they met Ron, Fred and Hank. Ignoring the snowfall, they studied the map open on the hood of Gillian's car, to decide which street each of them would canvass. Five cruisers joined them, so Brock and Hank gathered the uniforms to explain to them where they needed the checkpoints. Two more cars pulled over past Gillian's, and Banks stepped out of one of them, zipping up his jacket.

Gillian smiled. "And here's the cavalry. Thank you, Bob, didn't know who else to call to keep it quiet."

"Next time make it a bar," he replied, shaking their hands. "Weren't you guys at that fancy gala at the Four Seasons?"

"You know us, Banks. Not really into black-tie stuff," said Ron.

Gillian noticed Banks' quick glance at her and looked past him. She concealed a smirk when she spotted the young man coming out of the second car. Oh, well, good old Banks felt like sharing and had brought Taylor along? The detective joined them with a discreet confident smile. He was in his early thirties, tall, fit, short fair hair and a nice face with firm bones. Gillian hadn't seen him in a while, and confirmed he was just as hot as she remembered him: enough to melt the falling snow a mile around wherever he stepped.

Banks was introducing him when Hank and Brock came back.

"Uniforms off to their posts," said Hank. "Hey, Banks! You're joining us?"

He shrugged. "You know Reg, she just can't live without me. Taylor, this is Doctor Schwarz, and this is..."

Gillian felt the heat lash her cheeks, and forced herself to look away from Taylor. "Agent Brockner, with the FBI. Agent Brockner, meet Sergeant Banks and Detective Taylor. They're helping us to search the area."

This was Gillian's old partner from Homicide. Brock recalled seeing them together at Boloco, when he'd first met her. Well, first talked to her. Well, at least according to his own and incomplete recollections. His eyes beneath his scowl moved up and down Taylor—not good, this young man; too much of a Henderson type to not be a distraction for her.

Banks smiled, shaking Brock's hand. "Declan Brockner in the flesh. It's an honor, sir. Reg fried my brain with your theories for many years, but God knows they work."

Brock just nodded, feeling awkward again, just like at the gala. It was so odd, finding that everybody in Gillian's circle seemed to know about him.

"Alright, gents, shall we?" said Gillian, glancing around and meeting Taylor's eyes for a heartbeat. Dammit, he really was hot enough to cancel the upcoming winter. And he watched her every move. "Bob, would you guys take Waldemar and Faywood?"

"Whatever you want to go back to my heater," replied Banks, spinning around to head for his car.

The others did the same, and Brock got into Gillian's car as she circled it to get behind the wheel.

"Lieutenant!" called Taylor then, hurrying back from his car with a large paper cup in his hand.

She paused by her open door as Brock looked up at the rearview. Great, the pretty detective had brought her a coffee. Were they also going on a date right there and then?

"Sorry, Lieutenant, almost forgot it. Banks insisted that you would need this," he said, with that deep voice that seemed specially designed to activate Gillian's lust.

"Oh, thank you so much, Detective," she muttered, receiving the paper cup with both hands. "I do owe you." And good old Banks, of course, but that's not news. "Next one's on me."

He smiled, stepping backwards to his car. "I'll hold you to your word, Lieutenant."

Oh, well, so you are a player? Let's play, then.

Brock cleared his throat, annoyed that Gillian picked such a moment to hit on the young man. Couldn't she just save it for later, after they found Jimmy?

She smiled at the way Taylor raised his eyebrows when Brock's soft cough came out of Gillian's open door. "Keep your radio open, Detective," she said, getting in the car.

Gillian geared in and the other cars followed her to turn right onto Bennington. She politely offered to share her coffee with Brock. He declined, shaking his head, not even looking at her, scowl fixed down on the picture of the stolen car under his small flashlight. Knowing he wouldn't see her, she rolled her eyes. Stupid bitter man, not everything is work-work-work in life. And I can multitask, you know? We're finding the boy in spite of Taylor being hot as hell.

She called Tanya on speaker as she turned to take Ashley, the street they were to canvass. "Lads, tell me about the thugs."

Kurt replied, "Collins and Lee went down for bank robbery in Vermont. They hit three banks before the police caught them."

"They worked alone, only the two of them?"

"It was a four-man team, but only Collins and Lee got arrested. The other two got away."

"Any lead on their identities?" asked Brock.

"I'm on it, sir," said Connor. "Get back to you in a minute."

"Check the visitation records from their time in prison, too."

"Yessir."

"Any news from Al and Russ?"

"Not yet. But I've pulled a list of vacant houses in the Heights."

"Great, T, send it to all of us."

Gillian drove down the street slowly, lights off. Despite the freezing cold, they had the windows down to check every car parked on the street and the driveways. She disconnected and checked on the others over the radio. When they asked her how it was going on the south side, she just answered a very intentional, "Enjoying my coffee."

Brock glared at the cars. Why couldn't she just stay... professional in such a situation?

"So bank robbery," said Gillian then, expecting Brock to elaborate on it.

But he didn't, seemingly too focused on scanning the cars on his side of the street.

Gillian swallowed a snort. "Agent Brockner...?" she tried.

He shot a quick glare at her—what? Unlike you, I'm working here.

She arched her eyebrows—what was wrong with him? "Bank robbers?" she repeated.

Brock looked out again to reply, "Organized, cold-blooded, plenty of attention to details, careful planning. It was a solid crew, if they refused to give their associates' names, even when they could've used it to cut a deal. They're most likely family or very old friends. Or both."

Gillian pulled over sharply, ignoring Brock's questioning scowl, already making a call on speaker. "Talk to me, son! They're not alone in this!"

"I got the names of the two other suspected members of the gang, we're checking them as we speak."

"Send their pictures to Al and Russ."

"Oh, crap!" muttered Tanya.

"What is it?"

"I just got an overlap between these new suspects and a plate at the motel!"