6. the king comes to town

The police had blocked both corners, and at Orlando's block there were now only cruisers, ambulances and a SWAT truck

A structural tent was being set at the corner nearest to Orlando's, and under it, Tanya deployed three computers on a board table. By her side, Aldana talked to Fred, who was assembling his rifle. Hank talked to Thompson, the SWAT leader.

Fred turned on his radio and headed to the building right across the street from Orlando's, to look for a place to get a good line of fire. Then Hank saw the uniforms opening the barrier for a car to drive in, and turned to the tent with a horrified grimace. Aldana looked past him and poked Tanya's arm. Both of them recognized the car, wishing a blue box would appear and snatch them to the next galaxy and the next millennium.

But that only happened in England. There in Boston, King Gillian stepped out of the car and headed to the tent, as everybody made way for him. He stopped by Aldana, not even glancing at her or Tanya, his cold blue eyes fixed on Orlando's across the street.

"Situation," he barked.

Aldana swallowed. "Twenty hostages, sir, customers and employees. The subject has a shotgun and at least two more handguns. Nobody's been hurt this far, but... captain Cook."

King Gillian scowled at her. "Come again? Cook's in there?"

"Yes, sir. We assume he was shot when he tried to prevent the incident. But he's fine, sir. Palmer shot his leg, no vital organs involved."

"Who's Palmer."

"The subject, sir. He's a federal fugitive. Russell Coleman and his partner are working the case and they're on their way here."

"Bullshit. This scumbag is holding Boston citizens and shot one of ours. We're handling this."

King Gillian waved at Thompson, who left Hank speaking alone and hurried to him.

"Yessir?"

"Get your men ready, you're going in."

"Yessir!"

He hurried away while Aldana mustered her courage to object. "Sir, with all due respect, the subject is using the hostages as a human shield."

"I'm not blind, child."

"We have a sniper getting in position, so if you—"

"We? Who are you?"

"Sergeant Miles with the SCU, sir."

"I didn't know you were called in."

"It's your daughter, sir. Reg is in the coffee shop too."

"You're saying my daughter is one of the hostages?"

Aldana thought King Gillian's glare would open a hole in her head and flashed an apologetic grimace as she nodded.

Brock stopped right before the barriers and he and Russell jumped out of the SUV, already flashing their badges for the uniforms to let them through.

"Shit. That can't be good," grunted Russell as they headed to the tent, and nodded ahead. "The King is instructing the SWAT team leader."

"Gillian's father?"

Russell nodded again and Brock signaled him to go meet Aldana and Hank. He altered his course to head straight to where King Gillian was talking to Thompson.

"...and gas through the vents. Now go get your men in position."

"With all the hostages inside, sir?"

King Gillian's scowl was enough to get the man in motion at Match speed. Then he turned to Brock, standing only two steps away, and looked him up and down, expecting an explanation about his presence.

Knowing Gillian, Brock was perfectly aware of the kind of man he was facing, so he wore a proper blank scowl and gauged his voice to frost everything two miles around. "Superintendent Gillian? I'm SA Declan Brockner, with the FBI."

King Gillian narrowed his eyes for a beat. "Oh, yes, the profiler my daughter never ceases to praise."

Brock ignored the sarcasm in his voice. "Sir, you can tell your men to stand down now. Phil Palmer is a federal fugitive and we're handling this."

King Gillian wasn't used to be told what to do, and he didn't exactly appreciate it. "You're handling nothing, Agent. That son of a bitch has twenty hostages and he's shot a Boston PD officer."

"We're aware of the situation, sir, but I need to ask you to stand down and let us take care of things."

"Am I not speaking English here? You feds had your chance to get him, and you failed. Now I am in charge, so you and Russell can go back to your field office and stay out of my way, 'cause I'm trying to save some lives here."

Brock held his drilling blue eyes without a blink and his voice turned even colder and sharper. "No, you're not: you're about to get all the hostages killed. Your daughter and your colleague are in there. So you're too involved."

King Gillian glowered at him as if Brock had just slapped him. "Hope you're not implying I can't do my work, Agent. 'Cause we wouldn't be here if you'd done yours in the first place. So go back to your profiles. I don't have time for this."

He tried to walk away and Brock cut him off. "Sir, don't make me have you removed from here. Talk to the Commissioner. He's aware of the situation and he'll confirm our authority. That is, in case you need to be reminded of jurisdictions and the proper chain of command." Without giving King Gillian a chance to even try to retort, Brock strode away toward Thompson and said, "From now on, any order goes through me. Now tell your men to stand down until further notice."

He saw Thompson's glance past him, at King Gillian, for confirmation, and controlled his need to slap the man. Instead, he spun on his heels and strode to the tent, seeing King Gillian talk on the phone.

"Were you able to make'im stand down?" asked Russell, who was already wearing his FBI vest.

Brock raised his eyebrows, taking out his suit coat to put on his Kevlar. "This was only the first round. How's the situation here?"

"We haven't made contact yet," replied Aldana. "We were waiting for you."

"Then you're on, Coleman."

While Hank studied the blueprints, Russell turned to Tanya and nodded. Brock and Aldana grabbed earphones to listen to the call.