9. the watch

The cook was successfully relocated and the day crawled through paperwork like a crippled snail

The cook was successfully relocated and the day crawled through paperwork like a crippled snail. In the early winter sunset, Gillian decided she was sick and tired of reports and called Banks. Since she was sure the killer would hit that night, they decided to take the watch on the dealers themselves. Banks and Fred would watch the girl; Taylor and Gillian would take Young.

"Really," said Banks. "You always draw the short straw, right?"

"Hey, why the hell am I Unit Chief if I cannot even pick who I'm standing watch with?"

"I'll be ringing you guys every fifteen minutes. Mark my words."

"You can ring all you want. Just don't expect me to pick up."

A while later, when Gillian and Fred went to the precinct to pick Taylor and Banks up, the young detective looked and smelled like he'd just come out of the shower. Banks noticed Gillian's quick smile.

"Every ten, Reg," he said, heading with Fred to the sniper's car.

"Be a man of your word! You said fifteen!" she protested, as she led Taylor to her car.

"Nah, you'd be gearing up for round three in fifteen."

Gillian frowned, worried. "Gosh! I certainly hope not!" She got in her car with Taylor, giggling, and noticed his questioning frown. "Never mind." She smiled. "Young's address?"

Taylor narrowed his eyes, about to say something, but didn't.

The officer watching the dealer's address was a young woman disguised as a working girl. She casually leaned to Taylor's rolled-down window when Gillian pulled over at the corner.

"Hey, LT, Taylor. Pretty boy just got back home alone. He's at the third floor, on the alley's side."

"Near the fire escape?" asked Gillian.

"Yep."

"Thanks, Carol, we're taking it from here," said Taylor.

"Good, I'm craving thick denims and a heater."

Gillian handed her one of the cappuccinos they'd just gotten at Orlando's on their way there. "Here, to help you on your way home."

"Awesome, LT!" The officer winked at Taylor. "See? LT knows how to be a true gent."

Both women chuckled as Taylor tried to defend himself, and the officer stepped away from the car. Gillian went on up to the alley between the buildings and carefully reversed into it to its end. Night was closing and it was dark back there.

She killed the engine and zipped up her winter jacket, leaning back in her seat, eyes on the third-floor window. Taylor handed her the remaining cappuccino and produced his binoculars. They lingered in silence for a couple of minutes, until she handed the paper cup back to him.

"Oh, no, please, you have it," he said.

"I insist."

Taylor held her eyes for a moment, then accepted the cappuccino.

Gillian smiled. "Okay, we're gonna be here for a while, so we better find something to talk about, or we're gonna fall asleep and freeze to death."

His lips pursed in a little smile that forced Gillian to lash a mental whip to keep her hormones in check.