16. no time

Uniforms and a SWAT team were inside Wood's apartment when Brock and Gillian arrived, so they waited by her car, surrounded by cruisers

Uniforms and a SWAT team were inside Wood's apartment when Brock and Gillian arrived, so they waited by her car, surrounded by cruisers. She was a firm candidate for the Sulk of the Year Award, as she stood by his side in the same sullen silence she'd kept since they'd left the office. Brock thought she resented his giving Cook the address. She'd go back to her senses when she confirmed Wood wasn't there, as he'd told her.

But despite the pressure of the situation, or maybe because of it, she was actually sulking over something way more domestic: she hadn't felt awkward at Brock driving her car again, which implied issues she just couldn't deal with then—in fact, not before Doomsday.

Cook came out with the SWAT agents, spotted Brock and Gillian and shook his head. "He's not been here in a while," he said.

Brock turned to Gillian. About time she snapped out of it. "Lieutenant, there has to be some clue to Wood's secondary location in there. Something regular agents would overlook," he said. "So I need you to work with me, or we're never gonna find him in time."

She met his eyes just as serious. Some other time she'd take a moment to revisit the feeling of Special Agent Declan Brockner asking her something like that. For the moment, she just nodded and took the lead into the building.

Once in the apartment, she asked the Crime Lab techs to wait outside and called Tanya, while Brock stood a few steps away, scanning the place.

"T, pull a list of vacant houses and warehouses in secluded locations, and look for overlaps in pikes of power flow," she said, and Brock was glad to hear her back on the game.

She headed to the only bedroom, leaving Brock to search the kitchen and the small living room and go through old mail and papers. Tanya soon sent her a list with ten locations, and Gillian joined Brock to show it to him.

He glanced out the window, seeing the early winter sunset was already upon them. "We don't have time to search each one," he grunted. "Lieutenant, you know the city. Does any of these addresses fit Wood's needs? Somewhere he can store the explosives and work without being seen or disturbed. Somewhere nobody would intrude."

She studied the map and flagged two of the addresses. "I think these are the best candidates."

"And they're at opposite ends of the city," he grunted.

He looked away, controlling a bad feeling, and his eyes fell on a bunch of papers on the table. Gillian noticed his frown and turned around. They approached the table and saw they were all newspapers cuttings. By them, there was a scrapbook with older chronicles, all of them reports of events related to the Boston PD. They went back to the first page to check every clipping, and soon Brock showed her one.

"Isn't this one of the two addresses you flagged?" he asked.

She checked it and nodded, scowling. It was a chronicle about the Bomb Squad finding explosives in a building under construction.

"This gotta be it," she muttered.

"It better be," he replied, striding out.