8. top ten

Connor came into the meeting room with takeout for Russell, Banks and Hank

Connor came into the meeting room with takeout for Russell, Banks and Hank. They had spent the last hour in there, working on Wood's file and the scrapbook Gillian and Brock had found at his apartment. Now all the cuttings were pinned to the board, and they had just finished ordering them in a timeline. The boy looked at the board.

"What're you looking for?"

Hank sighed. "Any kind of clue?"

"We're trying to figure out why he kept these chronicles," said Russell.

"To try to establish the relevance they had for him," said Banks.

"That would give you the location of the bombs?"

"We hope so."

Russell pointed at one of the scraps. Connor approached the board.

"In 1999 Wood was still a beat cop. He and his partner prevented a bank robbery that could've led to a hostage situation. But his partner got shot during that event, and that earned him—and not Wood—a commendation."

Connor nodded, reading. "It was the Free Trade Bank, where he planted the bomb this morning."

"And his partner received his medal in a public act at the Irish Famine Memorial, right across the street from the bank," said Hank. "Where we found the first bomb today."

Russell pointed at another article. Connor read the title. "The Bomb Squad defused home-made bombs there two years ago."

"Keep reading," said Hank, chewing eagerly.

"He's not mentioned here," noted the boy.

"But according to his records, he was one of the agents in this operation," said Banks. "And that's how Perkins got a promotion and became Squad Leader."

"And this is where we found him today, the building where your mom and Brock are still trapped," said Russell.

"I see..."

"None of these chronicles mention Wood," said Banks. "So we need to figure out—"

"How they rank in his top-ten of grudges." The boy nodded. "Let me bring my computer, so we can search his records faster."

"Any news from the site?" asked Hank.

"Fred finished clearing a wall on the north side, and they're about to send a Squad in with Ron's scanner."