7. loose end

Aldana finally got Katy to sleep

Aldana finally got Katy to sleep. Albert Nelson was sunk in a chair by the table, holding the burner the kidnappers would use to contact him. Aldana's phone buzzed and startled Katy, so she handed it to Russell. He took the call, strolling to the window. Nelson's phone rang then.

"It's them," Nelson said.

"You know what to do," Aldana replied drily.

Russell disconnected and moved to the narrow strip of wall between the door and the window, hand to the holster hanging from his belt.

Katy jolted awake when Nelson cried out, "What!? I don't have that much money! We said sixty! How am I supposed to get a hundred!?"

"Say yes, Albert!" Katy sobbed. "I'll get the money! I'll ask Dad! Anything to get our Jimmy back!"

Right then, both Aldana and Russell spotted a flickering spark of red light through the front window, and the dot on Katy's head. They reacted at the same time.

"DOWN!" shouted Russell, yanking the front door open to distract the shooter, as Aldana shoved Katy off the bed and to the floor behind it. Next she tackled Nelson, throwing him down to the floor with them. The phone flew from Nelson's hand to crash against the wall.

A bullet pierced the front window and crossed the room to hit the small window by the backdoor.

"You guys okay?" asked Russell, crouched with his back to the wall, Glock in hand.

Nelson tried to sit up, cursing aloud. Aldana yanked him back down.

"The phone is broken!" cried Katy.

"Stay there!" Aldana commanded her, as Russell pushed the door closed.

Another shot pierced straight through it.

"Get'em out, Al! I'll cover you!"

Aldana made Nelson roll over to lie on his belly and pointed at the backdoor.

"Katy, can you crawl to the door?" she asked.

Nelson tried to argue, but a third shot put him in motion.

Russell already had a good idea of the direction the shots came from, so he stormed out, got a glimpse of the laser scope beam from a room across the parking lot, and fired at the window, shattering it. Then he ran to take cover behind the SUV.

Aldana stayed crouched and sneaked around the bed to help a shocked Katy to reach the backdoor. But when she tried to open it, a fourth bullet flew across the room to hit it a few inches away from the knob. She heard Russell shoot again, allowing her to open the door enough to get the couple out.

The night receptionist ran out of his tiny office. Russell signaled him to hurry back inside. "Call the police!" he shouted, as a bullet hissed a few inches away from his head. Lucky him, the thug was a bad shot.

Russell sneaked into the SUV passenger seat and stayed low as he started the engine. A shot shattered the driver window. He hurried to sit behind the wheel, geared in and floored the SUV, skidding out of the parking lot.

Aldana got the Nelsons out and pushed them to their feet, dragging them both along the service lane to the street. The SUV squealed to a sharp stop for them to get in. Russell jumped out of it, waving for Aldana to take the wheel.

"What're you doing!?" she cried.

"Take'em to the police station! I'll meet you there!" he replied, and ran back to the motel's entrance.

Aldana swallowed curses and fear and stepped on the gas, driving away with one last glance at Russell in the rearview.

He waited for them to leave and headed to the motel's office. The receptionist had already called the police, so he went on to the parking lot. He saw the shadow of a man walking into Nelson's room. The door across the parking lot was wide open. Russell stuck to the wall and tiptoed to Nelson's room.

As he came closer to the open door, he heard a man speaking inside. He cocked his Glock and moved.

"They're gone!" the man snarled on the phone. "There are cops with them! You better get rid of that little son of a—!" The man froze when Russell rested the barrel of his Glock against the back of the man's head.

"Disconnect," Russell whispered in the man's ear, snatching the rifle from his hand and throwing it away.

The man did and dropped the phone.

"Now raise your hands, very slowly."

"You'll never find the boy in time," the man growled, as Russell bent his arm behind his back and pushed him against the wall to cuff him.

"We'll see."