18. edge

Gillian gawked up at Phil

Gillian gawked up at Phil. "They're coming!"

"What?" he grunted, still mad at what she'd just said.

She grabbed his arm and dragged him to the shop window. Only Tanya remained at the tent, and the SWAT agents were spreading all over the street, taking positions with their huge assault rifles and their gas masks on.

The hostages before the window shop turned to Phil in tears. He pushed Gillian against the glass, cocking the gun to her head once more.

Then King Gillian showed across the street, with a speaker and his arrogant little smile. She knew that look. And at the same time she couldn't believe her eyes. But oh, she knew. And while she tried to overcome the shock of realizing what her father was about to do only out of pride, something inside of her slapped her out of it.

"He's gonna frigging do it, Phil! Let these men go!" she yelled. "Please! Keep me and let them go!"

"NO!" Phil thundered. Because he was confused and hurt and he didn't know King Gillian. And he thought death would come as some kind of liberation.

Okay, then that was it.

Knowing it was the last thing Phil expected, she spun around and punched him in the face. She sent him staggering back a couple of steps as she yelled to the hostages, "Ladies room! Go!"

Phil cursed as he tried to cut them off, but Gillian clung to his arm and roughly pulled him back and around, giving the hostages the moment they needed to get into the restroom and lock the door.

The team was already jumping down the ladder to the backyard, and Russell helped Aldana through the window.

Phil's reaction was slapping Gillian, so hard she fell to the floor on her butt with a suffocated cry, blood filling her mouth.

At the backyard, Brock materialized by the window with a furious growl at her cry, as if Palmer had just hit him instead of her.

"Where is she!?" he demanded, his heart hammering his chest.

Russell and Aldana turned to him and shook their heads, eyes widened in horror, while a man jumped out and Brock was forced to help him.

"What have you done!" they heard Phil screaming, out of his mind.

To their dismay, they heard Gillian replying, still gasping, "I saved their lives. I'm a damned cop, remember? That's my job."

Brock kept yanking men out the window, for Fred to help them up the ladder to the upper window, where Hank waited for them.

Across the street, King Gillian took the speaker to his mouth and his voice echoed all over. "This is Superintendent Gillian with Boston PD. You have two minutes to turn yourself in, son."

Phil pointed his gun at Gillian's head. "You lied! We said no tricks!"

She looked straight into his eyes, trying not to think about her father across the street, so damn arrogant, so despicably selfish. Her dad, her unchallenged sole hero, whose smile had always meant the world for her, whose compliments she cherished over any of the commendations she'd won only for his sake.

It was so overwhelming that she couldn't even be mad, and an unnatural calm washed over her. So she spoke in her usual plain way. "I didn't lie to you, Phil. Am I not still here? I'm not leaving without you."

Brock heard her tone and had to fight himself to keep from stepping on one of the hostages' hands in order to climb in through the window. Pushed by her father's actions, she'd reached her last limit. She was very ready to die right there and then.

"I don't believe you anymore! You're just like them!" yelled Phil.

He raised his gun yet again and Gillian stepped up until the barrel touched her forehead, between her eyes.

"Then kill me for trying to help," she said, spreading out her arms.

Yes, please kill me. Else my father's gonna have his men do it. 'Cause the son of a bitch wouldn't get his hands dirty, not even with my own blood. So please, since you're more of a man, you do it.

For Brock, it was as if she were actually saying it aloud. He struggled to swallow his heart, at least just enough to keep breathing and try to get to her in time. He carelessly pulled out the last hostage and climbed in before Fred could even try to. Russell quietly opened the restroom door a little, but several gas grenades fell into the shop from the vents.

Across the street, King Gillian nodded at Thompson to order the SWAT teams to attack.