8. toil and trouble

**picture: Irish Famine Memorial, Boston

The sun was rising, the cloudy sky fading clearer over the city with a promise of snow. Gillian, Hank and Fred rode their own cars and Aldana drove the CSU van, while Ron sat in the back, checking their scanning equipment.

Gillian turned the music a little louder, savoring her cappuccino from Orlando's—courtesy of Kurt, punished with everybody's coffee on him for being late. He and Tanya were running the background checks on the new names in the list while the others patrolled.

They cleared the North End and decided to expand their search to the Historic District. And it was nice, driving around before the rush hour jammed the narrow streets.

They were chattering over the radio, as usual, when Hank's scanner started beeping. He pulled over as he warned them. "Got a reading at the Irish Famine Memorial, School and Washington."

The others hit the gas.

"Coming," said Aldana.

"Coming," echoed Fred.

"What d'you have there, other than my favorite Boloco across the street?" asked Gillian.

Hank looked around. "A couple of banks, the old City Hall, lots of stores. I think there's a school around the corner."

"Locate the source, Hank. Kurt, call it in. T, call Russell."

Hank got out of his car and started scanning the sidewalk slowly. The scanner went crazy by a trash bin, attached to the iron fence surrounding the Irish Famine Memorial. The SCU van pulled over across the street then, and Aldana jumped out to join him. Ron followed with a bigger scanner, as Fred's car screeched to a sharp stop past Hank's. Gillian ran around the corner to join them.

"Hank, Fred! Close the streets!"

"Uniforms and Bomb Squad on the way," reported Kurt.

Not a mile away from there, Russell drove across the Summer Street bridge, after picking Brock up at his apartment in South Boston.

"So Brandon says the background checks came clean for all eighty-six names."

Brock nodded, sunglasses on. "Like the online screening, so far."

Russell's phone buzzed and he picked up on speaker. "Morning, T."

"Russell, they've found a bomb at the Irish Memorial!"

Russell dropped his phone on Brock's hand and stepped on the gas. "What d'you know?"

"It's inside a trash bin. Ron says it's C-4 wired to a phone. They're gonna try to remove it—Holly shit! We just got another email!"

"Track it!"

"Read it aloud, please," asked Brock.

"Double, double, toil and trouble; fire burn, and cauldron bubble... What the hell? Isn't it Macbeth?"

"Double?" repeated Russell, with a horrified chill.

Brock sat up in his seat. "Warn Lieutenant Gillian! There's another bomb!"

At the Memorial, uniforms blocked the streets. Ron and Aldana, fully geared up, removed the bomb from the trash bin to place it into the safe container open by them. When the Bomb Squad finally showed up, Gillian hurried to meet them near the Old City Hall, fifty yards away from where Ron and Aldana worked.

Ron placed the bomb in the container carefully and closed it. As he took it to the van, Aldana removed her helmet and sighed, relieved. It was then that Tanya tried to warn them over the radio about what Brock had just said.

And as the girl repeated his words, inside the container, the phone wired to the bomb beeped, the display reading: 'NO SIGNAL – CALL INTERRUPTED.'