18. not good

Connor waved at the officers behind the front desk on his way to the elevators

Connor waved at the officers behind the front desk on his way to the elevators. He could bet his right hand he'd find his mother working on the explosion in Dorchester, like she'd been for the last five days.

And she was, of course.

The rest of the team had left two hours ago, but she was still at her desk, looking through lists of credit card charges. Ron and Aldana had come up with five ways to use a gas leak as an explosive device that could be triggered remotely at a chosen moment. A couple of them were frankly esoteric, but two others were viable. And what was more important: Hank and Kurt had figured out how to make them work with material that would be destroyed in the fire and leave no trace at all. The problem was that some of the things needed to pull it off were rather ordinary, so according to credit card records, about half the population of Boston could have done it.

The boy dropped the takeout bag on Gillian's desk, startling her. She looked up and a smile lit up her face, as she quickly removed her earphones. "Connor, son! Already here?"

"It's seven-thirty."

"Oh, right, your cooking class finished at seven."

Connor sat down at Tanya's desk, right next to Gillian's, and she handed him half of the food from the bag.

"Let me guess," said Connor, as they ate eagerly. "The explosion in Dorchester."

"Yep."

"You still think it was intentional, right?"

"Yep."

"Well, it's not a good area, Mom."

"Tell me about it. But those pretty boys shoot each other, or stab each other. They don't go around blowing each other's houses up."

"Then who...?"

A beep from Gillian's computer cut them off. An incoming email to the unit's server so late? She leaned toward the screen, frowning. A moment later she tugged at Connor's sleeve to get his attention.

"Read this and call me paranoid," she grunted, turning her computer around.

Connor rolled his chair to her desk, read the email and pulled the chair back to Tanya's desk, where he took his computer from his backpack. While he connected it to the SCU server, Gillian was already on the phone.