17. patient #2

**picture: Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston

Russell knocked and came into Brock's room, just in time to make way for an agent from the field office leaving.

"Hey, Brock, how are you?" he asked, dropping Brock's bag on a chair. He noticed the car keys on the nightstand.

"I'm fine, thanks." Brock's tone was drier than usual. He was sick and tired of doctors and nurses poking and pricking and bossing him around. He wanted to go home, take a long hot shower and sleep in his own bed for three days straight.

Russell's eyes widened when Brock flung the sheets away and got out of bed, grabbing the bag on his way to the small bathroom.

"What the hell are you doing?"

"Getting dressed," Brock grunted, and closed the door between them.

"But the doctor said you need to rest at least forty-eight hours to allow your ear to start healing."

"I'll rest at home."

Russell huffed. Gillian was already gone when he'd stopped by her room to check on her, and now Brock was escaping the hospital too.

Brock was out soon, wearing jeans and a polo under his polar fleece. He retrieved his trashed clothes from the closet and threw them into his duffel. Russell didn't have a chance to insist. Brock stalked across the room and grabbed his car keys, so Russell could only watch him stride out of the room.

Brock waited for people to step out of the elevator, and he was about to step in when he spotted Gillian and Connor in the booth.

He got in, already scowling at her. She was literally back from the death, plastered, covered in bruises on top of smashed bones and yet brazenly there, chattering with her son on her way out like nothing had happened—well, considering her habits, the day before would qualify as just another day at the office for her.

"You can't have been discharged," he accused in a low voice.

Good morning to you too, hun. "I wasn't. Were you?" Gillian replied with an ironic smile.

Brock realized he'd been unnecessarily rude, especially considering he was doing exactly the same. Well, he only had his eardrum blasted, which could only cost him his hearing permanently; not like he needed to stay.

Connor looked down at Gillian with a questioning frown, which got deeper when he saw she was looking ahead, that little smile still pursing her lips when Brock stood by the other side of the wheelchair. But she couldn't explain to her son that Brock was just caring—and hating the fact of caring about her.

He let them exit the elevator first and followed without a word, the car keys jingling in his hand. And he scowled deeper when Gillian waved goodbye at him, as Connor pushed the wheelchair toward the taxi stop. Brock breathed in and nodded at the parking lot.

"My car's over there," he said.

Connor paused, waiting for his mother's answer. "We're fine, Agent Brockner. Thanks," she replied, always in the same soft, amused way. Would he also carry her upstairs and to her bed, tuck her in and lock the door on his way out?

At her words, Connor resumed their way to the taxi stop with a quick nod goodbye at Brock. He set his jaw and stalked across the parking lot to his car, annoyed at the universe in general. But especially at Gillian, for a change, currently for refusing his assistance. A minute later, before any taxi came to the stop, he braked before Gillian and her son and pushed the passenger door open.

She had to swallow a chuckle. Okay, the stupid caring man was determined to take her home. So she'd better gave up, or he would probably chase down her taxi, lights and sirens on.

Hank parked near the exit of the lot. He and Kurt got out of the car with Orlando's for everybody, discussing how to smug the coffee into Gillian's and Brock's room, when Kurt grabbed Hank's arm, nodding ahead with a frown of pure disbelief.

Hank looked up in time to see Brock's car driving by to the exit, Brock himself behind the wheel. And sitting by his side with an amused little smile was Gillian, who waved at them with a wink as they gawked, watching them drive away.

.

.

Keep reading on the next episode: BLACKBIRD 10 - the feather