12. musing

A woman! That was odd

A woman! That was odd. In his twenty-five years with the Bureau, Brock had come across a few female serial killers, but never a professional assassin like the one Gillian had caught. He knew they existed. Killing for money wasn't only a men's business. But female assassins were rare. And actually better than their male colleagues at staying off the grid.

A case he would've liked to work.

At least he had sort of helped Gillian with the profile. A little. Actually not helped, but merely agreed with her conclusions. He should ask her about it next time they met, because it'd stirred his professional curiosity.

A next time that might never come, he realized, since his time in Boston was almost due. He only hoped Burton didn't plan to send him to another state for a whole semester again. Not that he missed DC that bad. Living in Boston had turned out to be nicer, easier than he'd expected. With his four days a month to visit Andrea, and she always willing and actually eager to come over again, he wouldn't mind staying. But he knew it had a lot to do with working with Coleman, and renting his small but warm, comfortable apartment so close to everything. He wouldn't find any of it in another state.

Coleman wanted to stay in Boston at least another semester, if not permanently. Brock knew he was happy to be back in his hometown, having the chance to be more in touch with his friends, and even sharing a part of his work with some of them. So he'd do anything to stay.

Well, it'd been nice, being back in the field with such a competent partner. Yet, if there was a bitter lesson Brock had learned with blood and tears, it was to not get attached to anyone, anymore. And after all, DC was his own hometown, and it was about time to go back and keep moving on.

He finished doing the dinner dishes and shook the water off his hands.

A woman...

Moving on, Brockner, you have a plane to catch early tomorrow and you still haven't even touched your bag.