"I'm everything but cute."

Brooklyn

“Guys, dinner is ready!” My mother’s voice echoed through the whole house, making me drop my phone on the comforter of my bed and sprint towards the kitchen.

I sat at my usual seat next to Tommy and my other brother, Blake, who is 15.

“Where’s dad?” I asked while laying the dark red napkin on my lap and looking at my mother, waiting for her answer.

“He couldn’t make it for dinner. He’s working till late today.” She replied with a sad smile.

My dad works at New York’s Police Department and his job is really important so sometimes he has to work at night and doesn’t come home until 6 am the next day. When I was little he used to take me with him often and he showed me the guns, the handcuffs and I would borrow his hat and pretend I was a policewoman myself. I’ve always admired my dad but all daughters have a special connection with their dads I think. Being the only girl, he feels the need to protect me.

When I came back to earth, my brother was talking about how the football auditions at his college had gone, complaining about how some guys got to be in it because they had contacts.

My older brother, Ryan, is your average 20-year-old that likes girls and sports more than anything in life. He’s only going to university because my parents made him. Surprisingly he managed to get good enough marks to get in Brown, which is more or less two hours away from New York. He’ll be going back in a week.

“But you’re in the team, aren’t you?” I asked bringing a spoon full of bright green peas to my mouth.

“Of course I’m in!” He looked at me like I had five heads.

Tommy and Blake started laughing and so did I, making Ryan turn to my mother. “Mom.” He whined dragging the ‘o’. “They’re making fun of me.”

“Guys stop.” She tried to hide the smile that was tugging at her lips and we nodded and kept eating. “How was your practice Tommy?”

 “It was amazing! I made a new friend called Jaxon and then Brooke and I drove him to his house because nobody could pick him up.” My mom frowned.

“Why not?” She switched her eyes to me. I swallowed a piece of tofu that had gotten stuck in my throat. If she finds out I went to the Bronx she’s so gonna kill me.

“Erm, his parents were working I guess and he’s only seven so I couldn’t let him go on the subway alone.” I shrugged, trying to appear casual.

She nodded. “And where does he live?” She asked interested. Damn it, why do you suddenly care so much?

“He lives in a poor neighborhood that is scary. Ours is much more beautiful.” Tommy spoke before me, leaving his glass of water on the table again.

“Mom this food is delicious, you need to make it more often.” I tried to change the subject and looked down and my almost finished plate of grilled tofu and boiled peas. Yeah, lame excuse. There’s a woman, María, that takes care of the housework ever since I can remember. She’s like the older sister I’ll never have since she’s only in her early thirties. But my mom loves cooking so she usually takes care of that and María rarely prepares any food.

Going back to the present I cursed under my breath and could already feel my mother’s eyes burning holes on my side.

“Isabella Brooklyn Reed, look at me.” Suddenly everyone shut up and you could hear a pin drop. She only used my full name when she was really pissed.

I hesitantly looked at her. She looked angry, almost as scary as Gorgeous Boy and his friends.

“We’ll talk about this later. I don’t want to make a scene now.” Her voice was stern and made me lost my appetite.