"Let's say I just don't believe in love anymore."

Brooklyn

Justin snorted, running a hand through his perfect dirty blonde hair. “You’re such a bad liar.”

Of course I am. I mean, you’re sexy as hell but I don’t want to feed your ego anymore so I won’t admit it.

“I hadn’t lied so much in my life until I met you.” I thought out loud.

“And why is that?” Justin questioned curiously as we went up the stairs of the station and met the street again. I had missed the natural light back in that hole.

“Well let’s see.” I pretended to be thinking hard and started counting with my fingers. “I lied to my parents when I said I wouldn’t come to the Bronx ever again, I lied when I promised my brother I would never talk to you again, I lied to my boyfriend when I said you were my cousin, I lied to my parents that day too when I told them I was with an old friend…” I trailed off, thinking of anymore possible lies I’ve told in the past few weeks. “Oh and I lied to my mother today when I told her I was hanging out with some girls that don’t even exist.” I finished off and looked at Justin with an expression that read ‘see?’.

“Wow.” Justin opened his mouth theatrically dragging the ‘o’. “You’re such a badass Brooke. I’m surprised they haven’t kicked you out yet. What kind of parents let their daughter be that rebelious?” He shook his head trying to appear totally serious. And here he goes mocking me again.

I sent him a glare and started walking faster in whatever direction we were going.

“Hmm Brooklyn, do you have any idea of where you’re going?” His voice came from a few feet behind me, making me stop and inwardly roll my eyes. I slowly turn around. “Obviously not.” I snapped. “But since you’re making fun of me again – when you promise you wouldn’t- “ I made emphasis on that part. “I don’t wanna hang with you anymore.” I pouted like I used to do when my parents didn’t want to buy me a new doll back when I was little and turned around again.

I hadn’t taken two steps before Justin was standing in front of me impeding me to walk. I tried to dodge him but if I moved to the left, he mirrored me and if I moved to the right he did too. I sighed in annoyance and was about to turn around and walk in the other direction – wherever that could take me - when a pair of strong hands were placed on my shoulders. I tried to wiggle out of his grip but he didn’t move one inch.

“C’mon, stop getting mad Brooke.” Justin sighed. “I’m sorry I broke my promise.” He rolled his eyes. “But it’s just too fun to mess with you, you always fall for it.” A small smirk made its way across his face, ending up in a strange giggle. My head was tilted to the side and my eyes were narrowed, showing him that this wasn’t being fun to me. Then he became serious.

The seriousness died when we heard a rumbling sound.

“Someone’s hungry.” Justin chuckled.

I brought my hands to my stomach and it rumbled again. Why do these embarrassing things always happen to me?

“Just buy me food.” I said, giving up on my tantrum. I don’t know how Justin even wants to hang out with me because, honestly, I’m always acting like a stupid child. I need to change that.

Justin cracked a smile knowing he had once again won our little argument. “Let’s go.” He threw his arm around my shoulder and I couldn’t help but feel awkward. I don’t go around doing that with every boy I know but for Justin it seemed like it was no big deal so I let it go. It was kind of comfortable.

“Do you like milkshakes?” He suddenly asked, looking down at me.

I nodded. “Who doesn’t?”