No turning back

Justin

A huge grin took over Brooklyn’s face and, absentmindedly, my lips mirrored it. This has to be the most romantic moment I’ve shared with a girl. I’m not quite the romantic type if you haven't noticed, but with her… I don’t know, it’s just different.

“C’mon, let’s get you back to the party. You’re missing your own birthday.” I took her hand and led her to the stairs we had previously descended, ignoring her frown.

Had she really liked the present that much? A sensation of pride shot through me. I thought she would have preferred some jewelry or clothes but it seems like she actually isn’t as shallow as I first thought. Well, never judge a book by its cover.

We got to the car after she managed to climb the stone stairs in those killer heels – I actually think they could kill.

“I hate stairs.” She muttered once we were inside the car. I chuckled remembering how she had complained about my house not having an elevator that night when she was drunk.

“But I loved the surprise.” She sent me a shy smile. “It brightened my night.”

“I’m glad it did.” I grinned back.

On the way back to the hotel, we talked about random stuff and sang to the songs that were playing on the radio. I had to give my car to that hotel valet who parked it before again and we took the elevator to the 46th floor. The pile of presents had grown taller and there was a couple making out next to it, oblivious to our arrival.

Brooklyn made a disgusted scowl at them before shaking her head and taking my hand to lead me inside the party room. As soon as we opened the door, Kelsey threw herself at Brooke like she hadn’t seen her in years.

“Thank God you’re okay B. Where the hell were you?” She scolded her before taking in my presence behind. A knowing look crossed her features, leaving a trace of a smirk on her lips. “Oh, I should’ve known you’d be with Justin.”

I could almost see Brooklyn blushing even under the disco lights.

“Don’t worry Kelsey, I took care of her.” I casually threw my arm around Brooke’s shoulder, making Kelsey’s smirk grow bigger.

“Sure.” She laughed. “Anyways, the karaoke just started. You have to sing, B.” She took her hand and tried to drag her to the little stage where a tipsy-looking blonde boy was singing Single Ladies by Beyoncé in a squeaky, unbearable voice. I freed Brooklyn from my arm so Kelsey could bring her on stage.

“What? I’m not singing in front of all these people.” She panicked. “I can’t sing.” Her feet glued to the floor, her arms opposing resistence.

“Aw c’mon, it’ll be fun.” Kelsey nagged her.

“Only if you sing too.” She said, directing her words to me.

“Me?” I asked perplexed.

“Uh huh. At least you can sing.”

I hesitated for a second but decided it would be fun watching Brooklyn sing and it’s not like I haven’t sung in public before.

“Okay.” I agreed. “Ladies first.” I motioned for her to walk to the stage with my hand, trying to hide my amusement.

She bit her lip and let Kelsey drag her in front of the screen that was displaying the ending lyrics to Single Ladies.

Kelsey snatched the microphone from the boy’s hand and ushered him to leave. “Okay, we had enough. Thank you, Jack.” She fake smiled as I chuckled amused at her sincerity.