"The world of business"

Justin

I was sitting on the back of the bench whistling a melody from a song when the roaring of a car parking made me look up. I squinted my eyes, the peak of my black cap shielding them from the sun. It was a white Audi and soon a blonde girl got out of it, making her way towards me. She was wearing posh clothes I don’t even know the name of but they looked expensive and her eyes were hidden behind a pair of Carrera sunglasses.

“Hey.” She said sitting next to me.

“You’re pretty early today.” I pointed.

“There was less traffic.” She shrugged.

I looked at her, nodded and looked down again, resting my elbows on my knees and playing with my fingers.

“Oh my god! What happened to your eye?” She took her sunglasses off and grabbed my chin softly making me turn around to face her. She had an expression of horror on her face like she had never seen a black eye. Well, maybe she hasn’t.

“Nothing.” I mumbled, not really wanting to explain how I got it.

“Doesn’t look like nothing.” She crooked an eyebrow looking at me like she was trying to get into my brain.

I didn’t say anything in hopes that she would drop it but seems like the chick likes being annoying.

“You know, you don’t have to tell me how you got it, honestly I don’t think I wanna know, but at least you could have put on some ice. It looks like your eye is gonna fall.” She shook her head probably picturing the image of my eye falling in her head.

I chuckled. “I don’t think you wanna know either.”

“Man we have some business to do. Now.” Tyson’s voice saved me from having to listen to Alejandra’s stupid comments anymore.

Judging by the tone of his voice this was serious and since Mike was coming too it didn’t involve just one person.

We got to Luke’s old van and I climbed on the back seat with Mike while Tyson sat on the passenger’s. They all looked nervous and concentrated so I guessed I was the only one oblivious to what was going on.

“Can someone explain me what the fuck’s wrong?” I asked switching my gaze between the three of them.

“Anthony wants to see us. He said it was urgent and I don’t think that’s good.” Luke looked briefly at me while he drove at high speed through the streets of the Bronx.

After 20 minutes we were at Anthony’s place. It was an old warehouse in the outskirts of the city. The rest of the buildings around it had burnt down years ago because of a fire someone started to burn a dead body so, now, the warehouse stood alone in the middle of heaps of rubble.

We made our way inside, where Anthony was already waiting. The inside of the building wasn’t much prettier than the outside. It was dark and monotonously decorated. The smell of drugs filled very corner and if you aren’t used to it, it burns your nostrils.

“It’s nice to see you again guys. Thanks for being so fast.” Anthony turned around in his chair, making it look like we were in some gangster movie. I inwardly chuckled. He may try to sound nice but behind his words there’s just venom. He is the kind of man that is not attached to anything in his life, besides his money obviously.

He eyed us with his only healthy eye – the other one was covered by a black patch. I don’t know how he got it but I don’t care either.

“What do you want us to do this time?” Luke asked. You could say he’s the leader of the gang because he’s the older – being 23 – but this is not even a gang. We just need money and the fastest way to get it here is through drugs. Anthony controls all the selling and buying in New York City but he doesn’t sell anything directly. That’s where we come into scene.