Chapter 40

"Are you going to still challenge Nikki?" Dimitri asked as they laid on the bed.

Rosalie sighed, "She didn't bother us during the meeting today, which is good. Besides the multiple glares. But yeah, if I back down now..."

"I mean, as long as she isn't able to get your stomach area, you'll be fine."

Rosalie rested her head on his chest and sighed, she wanted to tell him that her fight with Nikki will be to the death, but she didn't want him to freak out.

During the meeting he was challenged by not only Clinton, but Eli and several other alphas. He would have to fight them one after another, not giving him a chance to heal. Clinton had attempted to make his fight last, but Dimitri said he challenged him first.

Rosalie knew that Clinton was just being a coward and wanted to fight him when he's at his weakest point. She was disgusted by the man, she hated all eight alphas that challenged him. Each one wanted her as their mate, just because she was deemed the most beautiful she-wolf in the US. She hated it, she loathed it with her whole being.

She had watched her mother struggle with being known as the most beautiful, her mother hated it too. She would often find her mother crying in her father's arms, whimpering about wanting the men to leave her alone. Back then she didn't understand the stress, but now she does.

"What's bothering you?" Dimitri quietly asked.

"I don't want you fighting those alphas." She whispered.

He sighed and pulled her on to him, she frowned as she straddled him. His hands rested on her hips as he studied her.

"They want you, Rosalie, I promised to always protect you and keep you safe. If I withdrew then they would take you by force. I can't do that to you." He explained, gently stroking her cheek.

She nodded, "I...I have to tell you something."

"What?"

"My fight with Nikki is...to the death."

He blanched, "Wh-what?"

"It's to the death."

She didn't have enough time to prepare for his reaction. He immediately sat up and hugged her.

"No, what if she plays dirty and kills you? I can't lose you." He murmured. "I can't handle losing another mate."

Rosalie frowned as she hugged him back, "I won't lose, I have many things to live for, Dimi. I have a son and two daughters, a pack, a family, an unborn baby, and...the greatest love I've ever known. I won't die."

He still hugged her, pressing her against him. She didn't argue though, she knew this was the only way he could relax. She gently rubbed circles on his back as he attempted to calm himself down. After about ten minutes he finally released her and just sat there.

She could see the fear in his eyes, the fear of losing his one true love. She smiled sadly at him and crushed her lips to his. He didn't waste any time to kiss her back, his hands cupped her face. When they parted they pressed their foreheads together and looked into each other's eyes.

Rosalie smiled, "I love you."

"I love you too." He replied.

As they laid back down and cuddled against each other, Dimitri whispered something that broke her heart.

"Please, don't leave me again." He whispered.

I won't. She thought as she fell asleep.